Opener May 4, 2002

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

May 4 is the Walleye/Sauger Opener on the St Croix. That is a bit different than past years. Usually the opener is the last Saturday in April. It’s one of those “Openers” that I look forward to fishing. Wonder why the change….anyone know?

Steve and James, thanks for getting this going!

J.

bill mitchell

I dont have an answer for that,but what I do know is that anything else you always wanted to know and were afraid to ask, about the croix, you can find here!!! I will look in to the opener date a little tomorrow, is the wisc. opener the same weekend for inlands or is the weekend before?

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Jon J.,

It all comes down to May 1 and what Saturday is closer to May 1 – Aprils last or May’s first.

If May 1st is closer to the first May Saturday, then the opener is on that May Saturday, such as this year it is May 4, If May 1st is closer to the Aprils last Saturday then it’s that April day for the opener such as last year was April 28.

So in 2003 it’ll be 5/3/2003, in 2004 it’ll be 5/1/2004 , and back two weeks early again 4/30/05 and 4/29/06.

It’s on the MNDNR books.

Keep catchin’

Turk

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

That explains it. Thanks. Seems like we have had a long run of late April openers. Probably just bad memory!!

J.

bill mitchell

Well we all now know who the brains of the team is!!! Thanks partner, as of yesterday I was planning on fishing the river at 12:00 am sat the 28th. That would have been interesting…can you say loser?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ll say you would have had company!! I wouldn’t be surprised a bit to hear guys fishing for eyes on the 28th…..

J.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ll bet the patrols will be out looking for those that thought the St.Croix opened a weekend early as well! Great post guys, I hadn’t seen the opening dates for this year yet and just assumed the Croix would be a weekend early vs. inland WI waters again!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

well you can fish the river…. just not for walleye and sauger… Im sure I will be out… looking for the whites.. they should be on the move up river….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.