EFN Pro-Staff Pic – St. Croix Walleye

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

First post in a new FTR Forum! Betcha it won’t be the last….

This photo comes out to us from Bill Mitchell, one of our EFN Pro-Staff reporters up on the St.Croix River. This particular shot is a really hi-quality pic of a super nice walleye…. and by the looks of the smile on Bill’s face, he’s plenty pleased with the catch!

Thanks a bunch for the photo Bill. Keep ’em coming!

If anyone else has a photo or two they’d like to share with us here at FTR, simply send the photo out as a .jpg attachment in an e-mail to [email protected] and we’ll gladly get that posted here just as quickly as we can.

Good fishin’,

EFN Webstaff

todd_miller
    Houlton, WI.

MAN FTR continues to grow. Another great forum. Hope to see many post hear as this is my home river. I fish near Stillwater most often.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

ah, nice pic of a ‘Croix beauty. love the special section on my “home river” also.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

wow… caught me “flat-footed” again!!…. seems you guys are creating new forums almost daily now!… whats next?

I guess the Croix is MY home river…. I live within a few miles of the Croix… my closest launch would be interstate park on the Wisconsin side…. to tell the truth Ive not fished it much (up in this area) excpet in the spring and a bit last fall….. the word Ive “pumped” out of the locals is that the upper river is filled with smaller fish (under 15″)… except in the spring when decent numbers of decent fish can be had for a very limited time from the opener until maybe a week or so later…. there are good numbers of smallies, catfish, crappies, whitebass, and even suprising numbers of musky and some nice northern as well….. and of course sturgeon…. overall there is quality fishing to be had.. the entire region is no wake however and from memorial day to labor day its “infested” with canoes… Im talking continuous flotillas particularly on weekends…. but good numbers on week days too… a very pretty area…. fun to float with a canoe….

techniques for walleye that prevail is trolling cranks in the spring time… mostly longline… mostly in depths less than 15 feet… with 8-12 being pretty productive….. Ive also had good luck with vertical jiggin and pretty much any other classic river techniques… I have a feeling that casting cranks and plastics to the shallows is fairly overlooked and I will explore that this summer….. there HAS to be a FEW nice fish up here.. there is TONS of good water… and deep holes…. up to 70 feet deep!

well… anyway… thats bout all I have to say about “my” section of the river… no doubt there are others that can say lots more!…..

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

You guys sure know how to make a guy homesick for the River! Great lookin fish Bill. Thanks, Bill

bill mitchell

Thanks guys, that day on the water was a lot of fun! I went out the next evening , slite mist coming down, zero boats on the river except the andiamo on a dinner cruise, went back to the exact same spot put my first line in , started feeding out the other line looked back at the first one and its doubled over like its snagged , but it aint!! By this time I’ve got visions of multiple 8 to 10lber’s coming in with knowone around to share them with so I keep fighting the fish all the while convinced its another HOG. Well it was…. a HOG CATFISH…about 25 lbs worth of st.croix mud cat. Now I wasn’t disappointed, but when you go back over the spot again, all the while marking a ton of fish, and catch another cat in the 15lb range it tends to break a guys heart. All in all it was probably the coolest evening i have ever had on the river in regards to the tranquility and the heart stopping action all wrapped into one!! Where else can you drive 20 min. from a major metro area and take home memorys like that on such a clean and beautiful resource like the mighty CROIX!!!!! I hope to see you all on the river.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I get to stare into that exact spot the pic was taken on my daily commute to work! Talk about instilling “the fever”!!! When’s May arrive again? Just after ice out…………right? ;o)

Wishful thinkin’!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.