St. Croix River – 10/22

• magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Fished the Croix from 6:30 AM until about 2 PM today. Tried rigs, jigs, minnows, plastics and cranks. Fished several different areas and a variety of depths as well and marked a lot of fish but very few takers. Very tough bite for me. Did anyone else have any luck? What is the larger minnow of choice out there in the fall? I know red tails are golden on some bodies of water but I haven’t been able to find them in this area.

Thanks

Mike

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

What a great day to be in a boat. I was disappointed that I didn’t go out.

woodenfish
    st.croix valley

Was out 7 till noon boxed 6 eaters pitched 6 to 8 shorts all on cranks. Half on lead half on 3-ways.

adamgdunn
    Iowa

Fished 8-1 today at the Croix near Stillwater. Pulled cranks until about 10:30. Then jigged with gulp and crappie minnows. Ended up with 2 whites, 2 short walleyes, 1 crappie, 1 nice smallmouth, and 1 drum. Not fast action but enough to keep us interested.

Knutty

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

I know red tails are golden on some bodies of water but I haven’t been able to find them in this area.

Vado’s

I hit the Croix this afternoon trolling cranks, got some short’s plan on spending the day out there tomorrow, hopefully with better results

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I will be back out in the morning for half day trip. It sounds like cranks are still the ticket. Are you guys still finding them in the 20′ plus depth range? I was marking a ton of fish in the 20′ to 25′ range in the one area I fished today but I couldn’t get them to bite so I am not positive what they were but I suspect there were some eyes down there.

I assume Vado’s is bait shop Jesse. Where are they located?

Thanks,

Mike

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Couple days ago I got out on a short trip and got 5 walleye 14.75-16.5 inches in only 1 hour of fishing drifting a crawler. No minnows for me.

siclone
    W. Lakeland

Vado’s is all the way out in Fridley, so not exactly close by…

TJB
    Cottage Grove, MN.

We had family day on the Croix yesterday. Wife wanted a boat ride and kids wanted to fish out of the new boat. We made one pass in a go to spot for me and nothing. I was suprised to see the water temp at 59.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I was out again this morning until noon. Pulled cranks and boated a half dozen white bass and a sheep head. Marked a ton of fish and baitballs on the locators. No eyes.

lunker33
    excelsior

try 3/8 oz jig and fathead around deep holes and sand…..stay close to the bottom and set everything, it is worth at least a couple of keeper eyes

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Vado’s is all the way out in Fridley, so not exactly close by…

If you want chubs you’ll make the trip……I do

Got out yesterday (10-23) fished the Croix and Pool 3. Pulled a limit on the Croix, couldn’t scratch a fish out of Pool 3.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Nice work Jesse. Were you pulling cranks on lead? Morning or afternoon or was the action spread out through out the day?

Thanks,

Mike

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I couldnt find shad stacked in their traditional spots on the lower river. I fished half a day and struck out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.