crep program

• fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I have some land the my CRP contract is about up. I met with a guy from USDA and he was suggesting that I change from the CRP program to the CREP.
    Does anybody have any experience with the CREP program. I do know that if I enroll in it it’s for ever.

tornadochaser

CREP (assuming MN) is a great program. We enrolled just under 80 acres. By going through the CREP program we got a 75% cost share on wetland restoration.

If you enroll, you’re land will be in a CRP contract for ~15 years, then convert to a RIM permanent easement after that. Maintenance rules are similar to CRP. Spray for noxious weeds, keep the trees at bay. Our enrollment within the CRP contract was up this spring, so now it’s permanent easement. I’m now able to do some cattail management that I wasn’t able to do within the CRP contract.

In South Dakota, the state has created a similar program, targeting land withing the James River watershed. Enrolled acres get a premium payment above the regular CRP rate (I believe) but the land has to be opened to public hunting.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

looks like I won’t be eligible for the creep program. I share a wetland with a farmer that is full of cattails that means it is not farm-able. He is not interested in the program.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.