Crazy propane tank pricing!!

• Chris Schoblocher

Today I was at Menards looking at propane tanks and the pricing was crazy in my opinion. The prices where as follows.
    1# $3.37
    5# $39.99
    11# $56.97
    20# $23.99
    30# $48.97
    Now in my opinion you would think the 5# and 11# tanks would be cheaper than the 20#. I know 20# is the most common but dang why that much of a price jack up on the other tank sizes. Pretty sad I can get two 20# tanks for the cost of one 11#.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

It’s all about volume of manufacturing and sales.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

A long time ago, 20# propane tanks used to be expensive too, then those exchange kiosks popped up all over the place and no one needs to buy a 20#. Unless it’s cheaper than the exchange rate initial purchase.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

The thing that I don’t like about the swap and exchange places is they only put 15lb in the tank.

jake47
    WI

The thing that I don’t like about the swap and exchange places is they only put 15lb in the tank.

As opposed to how many lbs? I know our 500 gallon tank will only get filled to 85% to allow for thermal expansion w/o going boom!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

As opposed to how many lbs?

17 pounds. A few years back Blue rhino was caught selling 15 pounds for the same as 17 pounds without disclosing the difference in weight, class action lawsuits followed.
    I dont trust those exchange places, aside from not knowing what you get for weight you can still get stuck with a tank thats out dated. Happened to me twice, once at Menards and another time at a gas station.

I normally refill but sometimes there are times an exchange fills a need when on the spot.

Sam
    St.Francis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tuma wrote:</div>

As opposed to how many lbs? I know our 500 gallon tank will only get filled to 85% to allow for thermal expansion w/o going boom!

they can handle a full 20 pounds that will make the tank about 80 percent full in the winter I could fit closer to 25 pounds in there because of the lack of expansion

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.