Crawler harnesses vs cranks

• isu22andy

Curious why people run one vs the other and why ? On pepin the other day – I was running cranks and blanking – buddy up the lake had a full limit of nice fish in 2 hours on crawler harnesses. Wide open flat too . Usually I can’t keep the drum and smalls off a crawler harness on this body of water . Maybe it was a location thing , either way , it left me scratching my head . The river giveth and river taketh I suppose .

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i prefer crawler harnesses because it is slower and you can actually feel the head shakes and fight the fish. also i know with 99% certainty that my bait is on bottom and i can run them up shallow in the weeds without worry as they are pretty much weedless.

trolling or dragging as i like to call it is running the big motor so it’s faster fishing and louder compared to electric. can’t really fight the fish and you basically drag it on the surface back to the boat. trolling has produced bigger fish at times tho.

you like what you like, both catch fish. I like the foot of the lake this time of year. if you want to keep the small ones off, pull some deep diving bandits. i have not pulled leadcore yet this year but might give it a shot with the cooler weather?

wirivereyes
    Central WI

I run BB with slow death, spinners, smileys, etc on Petenwell because I can follow the countours of the main channel tighter. I feel like I can stay in the “zone” longer. I can run 3 lines out covering a pretty good section of water on the edge I want to with more accuracy than trolling cranks.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I just always have both in the summer. I prefer cranks but sometimes they want meat.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Your answer is more then likely the mud flats as that is where Mayflies are hatching from. Coming out of the mud fish will pick them off as they emerge.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.