Crappie Variations

• tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Got a crappie variation I hadn’t seen before. Top crappie is typical. Bottom crappie had horizontal banding like a white bass.

Attachments:
    1. image65.jpg

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I’ve seen both looks as most have. Pretty cool next to each other though. Same body of water? Same depth? Be interesting to see them with the top fins both open to help see if one was a white crappie or not.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I think black and white crappies cross once in a while but I don’t see the result looking like that. I know that there are crappies in some waters that look golden, but I think its due more to the nutrients found in those particular waters. If the ‘Norm” for where you got these fish look like the one on the top, I’d say the bottom fish results from some genetic backfire and is just the random case. I have fished crappies in waters where the usual coloration like the top fish shows is washed out sort of like the lower fish but then all of the crappies in those waters tend to look like it.

Looking closely at the picture that bottom fish’s scales seem way coarser than the top fish and almost has a rockbass look to it.

scott-k
    Red Wing

Ha! Tom beat me to the rock bass look-alike…not that I think it is one, but maybe a new species…a rockpie? Ooh, that was horrible.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

There must be some kind of Hanky Panky going on some where. yay … …rrr . Your turn JD. Lol

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Both crappies are from the same general area. The common gold colored fish was suspended deeper by 15′-20′. I’ve never heard of white crappies in the local area lakes, nor am I aware of any rock bass. This dates back to when my grandfather settled in the area in 1905. This particular lake contains some spring activity and historically is not tannic stained like most of the others. Although, the big 2012 Duluth Flooding event produced an influx of water from area bogs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.