Crappie ice rod suggestions?

• Mark Wilson

I’m looking for a pair of rods to fish a couple of my heavier got to lures:
    1) W2 1/8oz Jigging Rap
    2) 1/10-1/7oz jigging spoons (Swedish Pimple/Frostee/Demon)

These are the only lures/sizes that will be used on these rods. I’m looking for total control (don’t want the rod to be too light), but I also don’t want the lures to get “lost” while jigging with a heavier action rod. Just from the rod specs, the TB Perch Sweetheart seems like the best fit for both. However, I’m leaning towards getting a TB Panfish Sweetheart for the jigging spoons.
    Any suggestions or real world experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

I use w2 sized jigging raps frequently with a panfish sweetheart. I think it’s the perfect rod for that lure.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Panfish sweetheart I consider a “Light” powered rod. I have used up to 1/8 oz spoons with no problem. It really doesn’t get that mushy feeling when you put too much weight on it.

The Perch sweetheart I use for lures up to 1/4 oz. I use it for my 1/8 oz spoons crappie fishing but its my go to Walleye rod especially when I’m using flutter spoons.

Tonka
    Minnesota

I’ve got the Panfish sweetheart, and although I think that you can fish with 1/8 oz spoons, I think the 1/16 oz spoons perform better compared to an 1/8 oz on that rod. Just a personal opinion, but again, it’s not hard to fish an 1/8 oz with the panfish if you wanted. Hope this is a little helpful.

Mark Wilson

Thanks everyone! You saved me some disappointment.
    It sounds like the Panfish Sweetheart might be best suited for both lures. I will probably get one, and try with both lures before getting the second.
    Thanks again!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

The panfish sweetheart can handle 1/8 oz spoons but it’s better with 1/16 oz. Jigging raps actually perform better being loaded on a rod to slow the lift a bit. So the panfish sweetheart would be the ideal candidate. The only time I would prefer the perch sweetheart is that I’m getting into bigger panfish likely 12″+

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.