Crappie Cranks

• Jimmy Jones

I was stripping the old finish off the two baits at the top of the picture and figured I may as well dude up three others when I painted. The top two are Ugly Duckling baits from Yugoslavia, just to give some hint at their age. Crappies had pretty much gnawed the finish off both of them. The other three are baits I bought blank, un-painted. This purple pattern has been a real good one for me while fishing crappies.

All of these baits are light in weight, the top two are balsa. I fish these on ultra light rods with Clam 2 pound Frost Braid spooled on the reels. Casting hasn’t been an issue and when the crappies head for the shorelines in the spring these little baits are murder. I also use these for trolling by adding a drop shot weight three feet ahead of the lure and slow troll them over suspended crappies during the heat of the summer and this is probably my favorite way to fish them. Pike seem to have an affliction for them too, but of course not many pike make it to the net. Stripers have no problem eating them.

These are all sealed up and ready to visit the water.

Attachments:
    1. 434378132_2062073727501410_8434210407442716996_n.jpg

MX1825

Those are beautiful JJ. waytogo

tim hurley

They look great! These look a little like Wiggle Worts, have you tried them? Just trying to figure out how I can use cranks for crappies-WWs come in a 2” and the bill looks similiar.
    Thanks

Jimmy Jones

Wait for warm weather and fish these on a drop shot with a three foot light line leader, slow trolling.

If you’re into fish crappies on beds these are absolute murder.

Cw

Salmo hornets
    Yo Zuri Snap peas

Are my favorites.

BrianF

Tom, during the spawn, do these little cranks produce better than mainstay presentations, such as casting and slow floating a jig/plastic past the fish’s face? Or suspending a jig/plastic under a shallow bobber? Casting micro crankbaits is not something I have done. Can’t help but think that if you are using them, then they must be ‘the deal’ at times.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Sweet !

Jimmy Jones

Tom, during the spawn, do these little cranks produce better than mainstay presentations, such as casting and slow floating a jig/plastic past the fish’s face? Or suspending a jig/plastic under a shallow bobber? Casting micro crankbaits is not something I have done. Can’t help but think that if you are using them, then they must be ‘the deal’ at times.

Years ago I was looking for something different to try in my crappie fishing and found Yozuri’s Peanut Baits. These tiny balsa baits well absolute cain-raisers on shallow water bedded crappies. About all a guy had to do was land one of them within a couple feet of the bed and it was nailed. Just sitting there the fish would hit it. As far as the peanut baits being a better bait, I’d rank them right up with plastics. BUT, any of these small cranks are equally good when on a short, 3-4 foot, light line leader behind a drop shot weight “just” heavy enough to prevent blow back on a slow troll when crappies move out over deep water in the warmer summer months. Actually, a shad rap or other smaller shad crank of up to a #3 is a good crank for crappies then. The weights can be adjusted to the depth that the crappies are at, but slow is the key to the smallest cranks. Too fast and they’ll want to roll. The top two in the picture here are Yugoslavian Baits and no longer available here. They’re producers, hence the re-make on them. The other three are plastic, but they work as well as the balsa buddies.

I have a 3700 series shallow Plano box filled with peanut style baits as well as Yozuri Pin Minnows and the smaller sinking original Raps and host of other baits I have ordered up and painted. I’ll be ordering some lipless cranks soon that are small enough for crappies, about like the Ultra-Light Rap Shad of Rapala’s or the second to the smallest Big Eye shad bait that is Scheels branded. Since this purple over chartreuse is my go-to color in any crank used for crappies, these new ones will get the same treatment as these shown here.

An interesting observation on spawning crappies is that the fish on active beds are seldom hitting a bait to eat it. More often than not they’ll simply grab the bait and carry it outside of that magic ring around the nest and drop it, then they quickly swim back to the nest. I nipped the hook and barb off a jig and spent a whole morning watching this take place one spring day at the height of the crappie spawn.

Another observation is that the largest crappies will use deeper water that is adjacent to the usual shallow shoreline water used by the throngs of smaller fish for their spawning. The deeper water affords less light penetration [shade], more stable water temps and far less wave action.

Another observation is that crappies have a definite pecking order with the largest fish actually spawning ahead of the lesser fish time-wise and the largest fish getting the best spawning areas. Smaller crappies tend to get pushed into shallower water with less favorable or stable conditions so if you’re having trouble catching sizeable crappies during the spawn you’ve missed them, or you need to change locations and often this simply means to fish a bit deeper.

If I fish any time that relates to the spawn it’s likely to be when the largest fish start to move into the first decent break and stage to spawn. I try not to fish when the larger fish begin spawning as that’s where the genetics for future fishing are at. Once the larger fish are wrapping it up I’ll fish but turn the barbs on my hooks down so caught fish are returned as quickly as possible without harm to them.

BrianF

Great intel Tom! As usual…

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

We troll small plastics on some lakes during the summer and have luck with it, keep it just above the weeds or just tickling the tops of them. I assume this is doing the same thing. However you say slow we are usually cruising about 1-1/2 mph, how slow are you talking? Also how deep are you using this tactic hence the need for drop shot weights, last question why a drop shot weight and not a lindy style?

tim hurley

Picking up the size and speed was effective for me last year starting in about August.

Jimmy Jones

We troll small plastics on some lakes during the summer and have luck with it, keep it just above the weeds or just tickling the tops of them. I assume this is doing the same thing. However you say slow we are usually cruising about 1-1/2 mph, how slow are you talking? Also how deep are you using this tactic hence the need for drop shot weights, last question why a drop shot weight and not a lindy style?

I have a ton of dropshot weights of several sizes and use then like a lindy rig by clipping one on three feet ahead of the lure. Maybe more. Lazy I suppose. trolling speed is dependent upon the size of the crank. The smaller the crankbait, the slower. Speeding up usually results in the small baits rolling.

Lots of the water I have fished these little suckers on have no weeds or no weeds near deeper water where summer crappies hang out, so weeds generally are not an issue for me. As for depth, some of the waters where I use these has several areas throughout that are 30 plus feet deep and during the summer crappies will suspend anywhere from 6 to 12 feet, maybe deeper. If the fish are down at that 10-12 foot mark I leave them alone because of the chances of barotrauma and the severe water temp change when bringing the fish up.

Each year is different as to when trolling these baits will take off. Years with cooler temps and rain often will see this bite begin about the middle of July or later. No rain and hot, maybe the end of June or slightly earlier.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks Tom, I will have to try it sometime. waytogo

Jimmy Jones

Just for kicks I pulled the micro crank boxes out to get pictures. I have four of them and save for those in the opening picture, they’ve all been in the water and most have taken fish. These in the first box are mostly the smallest I have painted and are under an inch, some just under 3/4” and are single hooked.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1668-scaled.jpeg

Jimmy Jones

This box has a little larger baits in it.
    These baits are generally in the 1-1/4 to 1-1/2” range.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1670-scaled.jpeg

CaptainMusky

We used to troll rooster tails and mepps spinners tipped with crappie minnows and would always hammer the crappies. Any time of the year.

Jimmy Jones

This next box is almost entirely factory cranks that I have learned to love but a few of my home brews are in there too

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1671-scaled.jpeg

Jimmy Jones

This final box has baits that range from 1-1/4 to 2”.

If one really looks at the color schemes of those I have finished you’d see a strong leaning to either purple/chartreuse belly or blue/ chartreuse belly.

As mentioned before, every bait seen here has fish smell on it. What’s maddening is that perhaps more that what seen here have swum away in a pike’s chops. But they are a super crappie bait once a person learns to slow things down. Big sunfish, perch and strippers also love these critters.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1669-scaled.jpeg

picklerick
    Central WI

This final box has baits that range from 1-1/4 to 2”.

If one really looks at the color schemes of those I have finished you’d see a strong leaning to either purple/chartreuse belly or blue/ chartreuse belly.

As mentioned before, every bait seen here has fish smell on it. What’s maddening is that perhaps more that what seen here have swum away in a pike’s chops. But they are a super crappie bait once a person learns to slow things down. Big sunfish, perch and strippers also love these critters.

Keep an eye on your wallet around them strippers, JJ. devil

CaptainMusky

Jimmy does your wife have ANY idea how much you have invested in tackle? LOL

Jimmy Jones

Jimmy does your wife have ANY idea how much you have invested in tackle? LOL

Ha! She knows I know how much she has invested in quilting and doesn’t say much about my tackle because I know that.

Besides, I also make these earrings using the smallest of the blanks and these sell at $25.00 pair. Often that’s Ma’s eating out change when we’re on the road.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1674-scaled.jpeg

Jimmy Jones

Here are a couple Yozuri 2” Pins Minnows that I have added the chartreuse belly to. Just about every crappie bait I fish or plan to fish has to have chartreuse somewhere on it.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1676-scaled.jpeg

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.