Craigslist scams

I regularly scroll through the boats section of craigslist, not Looking to change boats, just like looking at boats. Over the last couple weeks it seems like there are a ton of too-good-to-be-true deals. I am thinking it is an increase in scams but could be people getting a little desperate for cash, thoughts?

blank

So that 2010 Tracker with palm trees in the background for just $1600 isn’t legit?

Reef W

So that 2010 Tracker with palm trees in the background for just $1600 isn’t legit?

It’s location is the airport though, they’re planning on shipping it I guess lol

B-man

If there’s no phone number and the price is too good to be true, it’s a scam phishing for your real email address.

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

Yah, that seems a little high! jester

BigWerm
    SW Metro

“Somebody say something about cheap boats..?”

Attachments:
    1. E3CA4A2C-792F-4C30-A7D2-79C6F67804CD.png

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blank wrote:</div>

It’s location is the airport though, they’re planning on shipping it I guess lol

Its got an Ohio tag on it.

munchy
    NULL

A quick Google search of the posted email address shows various for sale listings all across the country.

snelson223
    Austin MN

A buddy of mine got scammed on some goats. He did get his money back so that was good.

Sylvanboat

I’ve bought a few things on CL. each time I meet the seller, examine the merchandise and if I want to buy, I pay. Is this different?

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

I have bought and sold several boats, motors and trailers through Craig’s list in years past but I sure haven’t seen any bargains lately. Getting too old anyway, I like the one I have now, think I’ll have it buried with me.

Reef W

I’ve bought a few things on CL. each time I meet the seller, examine the merchandise and if I want to buy, I pay. Is this different?

The scams will somehow ask for payment up front or a deposit or recommend an escrow that is part of the scam. Basically just looking for people who give up common sense to not miss out on such a good deal.

Fish To Escape

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sylvanboat wrote:</div>

The scams will somehow ask for payment up front or a deposit or recommend an escrow that is part of the scam. Basically just looking for people who give up common sense to not miss out on such a good deal.

Yup, it is usually some wire transfer or something. I do know a Nigerian prince that needs to get his fortune into the country though if anybody is interested

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Good thing I read this, I almost bought a 2019 Warrior of a 1/2 the price. jester I always look at CL ads as no money up front and the only money you will received is in person. Let me see it first and if I miss out there will be another one.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I regularly scroll through the boats section of craigslist, not Looking to change boats, just like looking at boats. Over the last couple weeks it seems like there are a ton of too-good-to-be-true deals.

I regularly peruse the boats, too, and there has definitely been an increase in the scammers lately. They’re so easy to spot, though.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>snelson223 wrote:</div>
    A buddy of mine got scammed on some goats

Umm, say what?

Grouse

their the new in thing. Get them fat eating your lawn and clearing unwanted brush then eat them

snelson223
    Austin MN

He is getting into renting out goats for clearing brush. He had bought some but needed more. Saw an add on craigslist and seemed legit. Talked to the guy and he was going to get 20 goats. He wired the guy the money which he should not have done drove 6 hours to meet the guy and nothing at that address. He met with police and went to Wells Fargo and he did get his money back. I think he is up to 60 goats now.

If he puts 20 in an 1 acre plot with buckthorn you can’t see though it. With in a week they have most of the leaves off about head high.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I have been looking at all these Tracker boats that seem like a helluva deal and thought huh.I guess they can try and pass them off easier than a Ranger or a Skeeter.

riverruns
    Inactive

A buddy of mine got scammed on some goats. He did get his money back so that was good.

Mail order brides are tough to get. frown
    Good thing he got his $ back. peace

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

A lot of scams in ATV/UTV/Sno too. Most have gmail addresses posted in the add, coylefamily22, emily38jones, Alisonparker576, and MadelineCook1988 are just a few. About all you can do is flag them

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.