Costa del mar lens color

• smasher

Looking for a little help. I’m in the market for a new pair of Costas. My last pair, Jose w/580g blue mirror lenses, are currently resting in peace at the bottom of the Mississippi near wabasha. They left me way too early, only 3 months old.

I’ve been researching a new pair now. I have decided the blue mirror wasn’t my favorite for everyday. They didn’t allow enough light when driving. Also, more importantly, if fishing in shaded area they had to be removed to see anything at all. However, when out ice fishing on bright days…they were great!

Long story short is this….I’ve made up my mind that I do not want blue mirror again. I also know I want 580g lenses. I like the green mirror but am wondering if I’ll have similar problems as the blue mirror.

I know the correct answer is to have a few pairs with different lenses but for the time being I’m looking for pair #1 to be a versatile pair for general everyday use. Again, I’m leaning toward green mirror and possible silver mirror.

Looking for recommendations from fellow Ido and Costa fans!

kroger3
    blaine mn

I use 580G in green and to me for day to day use they do not have enough shade to them. But I only use them for the boat and the trade off of the glare reduction to brightness is worth it. Far less eye and head fatigue at the end of a long day on the water. But again I use them in the boat only.

sktrwx2200

I have the 580G blue mirror that I use most time while fishing or driving and all winter while there is snow.

I have a pair of 580G amber lens that are awesome for cloudy or overcast conditions or for fishing in shallow water(sight fishing overcast). Also great early in the morning and later in the day. But just too bright during high sun hours or in the snow.

Being since I use the mirrored lens way more, I think that maybe you didn’t have enough time with yours to see the advantages before they went overboard. I would GUESS that the green mirror would be close to the same performance as the blue and silver. I have a 580G silver mirror pair that I don’t wear very much but that’s more due to the fact that the frames are not as comfortable for me as the others.

If I had to choose just one…. I would keep my 580G blue mirror over the others to cover most of conditions that I encounter.

Hope I didn’t muddy the waters for you!

tonkaiceman
    Hanover, MN

Short answer blue mirror for clear water or ocean, green mirror for darker water.

I went with the permit 580G amber with green mirror. I love them I alway wear a hat fishing and have never had any issues with brightness, however that is just my experience. These are my first pair and I would change a thing if I got another pair.

Attachments:
    1. 20151208_204817.jpg

2. 20151208_204827.jpg

mh454
    ND

I have Costa’s Cat Cay with the Green Mirror 580G lens and love them!

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I got the Costa del Mar Cortez in the 580g blue mirror and love them. No more burning eyes after a day of fishing and comfortable.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I have 400G in amber, 400G in green mirror/amber, and 580G in green mirror/copper. They’re all great. )

smasher

Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like I can’t go wrong with whatever choice I make!

Jake
    Brainerd

I have a pair of jose’s in blue mirror, and two fantails in silver mirror and green mirror.

Green mirror gets the nod almost everyday. Probably my favorite so far. Really makes colors pop and great all around.

If your jose’s are a touch small do yourself a favor and go with the fantails. Same look as the jose’s but they fit my face way better and my eyelashes don’t touch the glass.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

I have 400G in amber, 400G in green mirror/amber, and 580G in green mirror/copper. They’re all great. )

I think the above statement holds the key. I don’t believe the answer lies in the green vs. blue itself based on the concern that the OP has. Rather it is in the base.

They didn’t allow enough light when driving. Also, more importantly, if fishing in shaded area they had to be removed to see anything at all. However, when out ice fishing on bright days…they were great!

Based on the OP’s ‘issues’ with Blue mirror which only can have a grey base, I think the ‘need’ would dictate a copper or amber base. That leaves you only the Green Mirror in either amber or copper base or the amber/copper lens with no mirror.

I have had two 580G green mirror/copper (one at the bottom of mille lacs and the other my dog ate) and now have the 580G Blue Mirror and a pair of Keanon’s in copper lense no mirror. 580G Green Mirror copper is back on my x-mas list.

FryDog62

Is there any other mirror color for an amber lens besides green? Would prefer a silver/natural mirror for an amber lens if it exists…

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Looking for a little help. I’m in the market for a new pair of Costas. My last pair, Jose w/580g blue mirror lenses, are currently resting in peace at the bottom of the Mississippi near wabasha. They left me way too early, only 3 months old.

I’ve been researching a new pair now. I have decided the blue mirror wasn’t my favorite for everyday. They didn’t allow enough light when driving. Also, more importantly, if fishing in shaded area they had to be removed to see anything at all. However, when out ice fishing on bright days…they were great!

Long story short is this….I’ve made up my mind that I do not want blue mirror again. I also know I want 580g lenses. I like the green mirror but am wondering if I’ll have similar problems as the blue mirror.

I know the correct answer is to have a few pairs with different lenses but for the time being I’m looking for pair #1 to be a versatile pair for general everyday use. Again, I’m leaning toward green mirror and possible silver mirror.

Looking for recommendations from fellow Ido and Costa fans!

I’m another green mirror guy. For much of the fishing I do, it offers the best contrast, esp. during low-light periods. On snow/ice, the blue mirror can be nice, especially during the longer days of March if it’s bright and sunny all day.

That said, it’s worth pointing out that blue, green, amber, or any other color in a Costa is an improvement from the other glasses I’ve ever worn. I’m in the same boat as you in that I’d like to make the best choice with that money, but don’t fret the decision too much!

Joel

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Is there any other mirror color for an amber lens besides green? Would prefer a silver/natural mirror for an amber lens if it exists…

Costa Silver mirror is copper lens, not amber that you are looking for. However, it might be close to what you are looking for. I have never tried on the silver mirror much less recall seeing them before.

I used amber lenses years ago when I drove motorcycle. Once I got my hands on a couple of different brands with copper, with different light transmission factors, I personally have no need for amber anymore.

wetsleeves
    Iowa

I agree with many others. I have two pairs of 580G Corbinas one blue mirror for bright days one green for overcast

smasher

Thanks for the help everybody. I chose to try a green mirror and go from there. I feel much better getting reviews/info from you folks over a retail associate who may know a lot about the product but have zero experience with the different options.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I have had two 580G green mirror/copper (one at the bottom of mille lacs and the other my dog ate) and now have the 580G Blue Mirror and a pair of Keanon’s in copper lense no mirror. 580G Green Mirror copper is back on my x-mas list.

Can you give a comparison of the Keanon’s in copper to the 580G Green Mirror?

I got that Keanon Copper 12 in Rx this year. Mostly I like it when fishing but find it’s not as hot for cloudy days. Thinking about getting something different for next year.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.