Core Ice – Hybrid Wheel/Skid

• Dash Adams

I’m wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the Core Hybrid Houses. To me the idea of having a Wheel House – skid is the best of both worlds – The toy hauler design to fit an ATV or Snowmobile and maybe a flip shack and the lightweight design is really intriguing. The ability to pull it down the highway and then have the option depending on ice thickness and snow conditions to either pull it out as a wheel house or as a skid seems pretty awesome.

Some possible cons – there Damn Spendy – Pretty minimalist as I see them more as a day house not a sleeper. Could you pull them with a snowmobile or would a Ranger or ATV be needed-and would they need tracks.

If someone has one I’d love to hear your thoughts.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I got an observation. If they don’t start putting wood on inside walls, then you will be able to pick a 2020 for half price in 2 years so hang tight.

Ice Cap

I got an observation. If they don’t start putting wood on inside walls, then you will be able to pick a 2020 for half price in 2 years so hang tight.

I have to agree. That white sanatized looking interior is not very appealing to me. Pay attention to the cargo carrying capacity of those all aluminum frame houses. And know how much things weigh that you are putting in there. Seen a lot of broken tongues rewelded on those aluminum frames. A lot of guys just keep cramming stuff in them as long as they can shoe horn it in there and wind up over exceeding load capacity.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

IMHO, way too much $ for too little value.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

hideous. reminds me of my time in a straight jacket

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Yea they remind me of going to a hospital or dentist office with that sanitized look.

Coletrain27

Definetly look like a surgical room. And the price they get for them is crazy IMO

Dash Adams

I get there pretty sterile and plain on the inside. Any opinions or experience with the hybrid skid option

roger

Like the idea of no wood inside. wash down and clean it up with no worries! best idea ever. Should be able to break up some of the white if you don’t like it. Black would be great!!

Bigredstorm

I talked to a guy that has the 11ft and he loves the ease of being able to move it with his four wheeler without having to raise the wheels. He just had a Honda with chains on and said he could pull pretty much anywhere he wanted to go within reason. I have a tracked Yamaha and he said that thing would probably pull it anywhere you wanted to go. I am in the process of selling mine and picking up probably the 15 footer.

iTinker

Like the idea of no wood inside. wash down and clean it up with no worries! best idea ever. Should be able to break up some of the white if you don’t like it. Black would be great!!

Good surface for printed vinyl. Might fix the doctor’s office look.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I used to have an old 6×8 wood house. When the whole wheelhouse craze hit I built a trailer for it. I built the frame with a beveled front(like skies) so I could pull it when down like core does. Great theory, BUT. The sides of the frame need to be higher than the front and back so you aren’t just plowing, that makes the ski theory work. Unbelievable how much extra banking it takes to cover the raised frame in the front and back. It’s also a wind tunnel and banking disappears fast. I tried using rubber like on the roof, cardboard, plywood, even hay(huge mess) to make banking work but none worked very well. It’s not as great as they make you believe. And it still plows if there’s any amount of snow. Way easier to just crank up you house a few turns for short moves if snow isn’t too deep.

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

pry the cheapest made house on the market, asking for top dollar. and with plastic wheel fenders…yeah that’ll hold up smh

iTinker

pry the cheapest made house on the market, asking for top dollar. and with plastic wheel fenders…yeah that’ll hold up smh

A lot of guys like their lite flite bits, and they can take a pounding.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

?

What I think iTinker was referring to is that the lite flight has plastic flights and they can take a beating. Possibly the plastic wheel fenders could also take a beating…

iTinker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3rdtryguy wrote:</div>
    ?

What I think iTinker was referring to is that the lite flight has plastic flights and they can take a beating. Possibly the plastic wheel fenders could also take a beating…

Exactly. Same goes for an Otter sled. It’s all about how much a manufacturer cares about quality. I like the idea of getting a lighter house out earlier and having that edge on a spot vs Joe Schmoe who has a heavier ice castle.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Dash, what does that house weigh?

gator800r

I want to revive this thread. Its been dead for awhile so hopefully people have some time on the ice with their core-ice houses and can give some good feed back.

Anyone own one? Specifically the 6515 hybrid? Im seriously contemplating picking one up. Im about functionality over looks. Don’t care what the thing looks like as long as it functions. This seems to fit my needs perfectly. I want light weight and need to haul with my ATV. Looking for some Ice-core owners honest opinions. Thanks in advance!

Nodakk

Their new models look much nicer but pricing went up with everything else. Check out Alex Trimm on YouTube. He has the hybrid skis model this year

gator800r

Their new models look much nicer but pricing went up with everything else. Check out Alex Trimm on YouTube. He has the hybrid skis model this year

Yup I’ve been following him closely. That’s about the only good information you can find on it. Anxiously waiting to see how it does for him this year. I don’t plan on buying this year. Just doing my homework to make sure it will work how I hope it will for me before dropping that amount of coin.

3Rivers

I watched Alex’s video and was very impressed with everything and I was feeling the vibe, and loving every bit of it, then I seen the price mentioned and the next thing was a clunk from my jaw hitting the floor.

gator800r

Definitely not cheap….But what is today? I can get over the price if it is made well and holds up.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

My friend has had one for maybe 4 years now. He got one of the first ones off the line I believe. Has been in for warranty repair 3 maybe 4x so far all for major issues. Camped in it on red a few weeks ago. It rained one night. Next day we had water dripping from the ceiling and down the walls in multiple locations. Throw in the crazy price tag and it’s a no go for me.

I’m not familiar with the hybrid models however

Coletrain27

My friend has had one for maybe 4 years now. He got one of the first ones off the line I believe. Has been in for warranty repair 3 maybe 4x so far all for major issues. Camped in it on red a few weeks ago. It rained one night. Next day we had water dripping from the ceiling and down the walls in multiple locations. Throw in the crazy price tag and it’s a no go for me.

I’m not familiar with the hybrid models however

I would be so pissed if that turd was mine and paid the price they go for

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I checked out the video and looked at their website. They obviously sell them or they wouldn’t exist. The colors don’t bother me and ease of wiping them down or cleaning them would be nice.

With that said, at that price point I wouldn’t waste the time to walk in them. I’m sure they’re nice and worth it for some people, but I just don’t value a wheelhouse the way some people do. A couple outings a year on Red or LOTW in total and I’ve more than scratched my itch to ever own one at today’s prices

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.