Cordless Drill Auger Build

• Don Schwader

Well yesterday UPS delivered my RIDGID 1300in lbs 2 speed driver drill R8611506 so today I registered the drill, batter & charger so all will have the RIDGID lifetime service agreement so if any of the 3 go bad or need to be replaced it will be done at no charge to me. This includes the battery too. That’s peace of mind I like!!

Al Case

“You are going to love it. I have been running the same drill with the Clam plate,Clam extension with the Eskimo 8inch hand auger for about a month now and it cuts very well. It doesn’t use any battery on that 9amp and is crazy fast. Have $300 in the set up! Plus have a drill for the rest of the year.”
    Hope so! I just ordered the same drill/charger/battery package. I’m going to pair it with my Strikemaster 7″ lazer hand auger.

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

I have been using a dewalt 20 volt brushless compact drill this year with no problems. 7 inch strikemaster laser blades on the business end. I have 2 5amphr batteries and haven’t come close to draining the first one in an outing.

Only time will tell if the compact brushless non hammer drill will hold up. But, thus far all is good.

Matt

Brandon Bell

Got the drill, supposed to get the battery today and hopefully will have a little bit of time to walk out to the lake and drill some holes to test it.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

I have last years model of the rigid hammer drill with a 6″ lazer and 2 4ah batteries. I almost never need the 2nd batter unless i am doing a lot of searching.

My only complaint with the rigid is the handle attachment method, had a buddy using it and it must have gotten loose and popped off. this rolled the cast aluminum shoulder it clamps on to and the problem got worse from there. I solved it by putting a C-clamp on it but that was clumsy, i just picked up a clam plate to solve the problem. Would prefer the drill handle over the plate due to weight and size but i think the comfort will off set that a little

Joel Schanbacher

Someone on YouTube recently tested the 1300in-lb Ridgid and compared it to his Dewalt. Looks like he had probably the tool kicking into thermal protection mode after about 20 holes and would have to let it cool down. His older, supposedly less powerful Dewalt did not have that issue in his comparison test. Link below.

Brandon Bell

Probably a good sign that the drill shuts itself down to protect it. I’m not too worried I’m never gonna bop that many holes that quick, and it probably isn’t good for any cordless drill to be doing that period. Good video find though, thanks for posting that!

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

There’s a reason why the drills of choice appears to be between the Milwaukee and Dewalt brands. If I was going to go the route of a lightweight set up I personally would go with one of these, whichever the best deal is

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

Got to remember Rigid has a lifetime warranty, plus who is going to drill like that?. My Rigid Octane has been working great.

I think the same guy is doing another test with the same drills.

curleytail

I got a Milwaukee Fuel this year and have it hooked to a 6 inch Nils. Impressed with the power and battery life of the drill. I might look into a 7 or 8 inch bit from someone to try next year as well.

In defense of the Rigid. That is a lot of non stop drilling. I like to move and drill a lot of holes but most spots will be 10 holes or so at a time. Plus with each hole there’s some downtime between drilling when walking to the next hole.

I kind of doubt that drill shuts down during normal use.

Tucker

Brandon Bell

I just tried it out in probably a foot of ice. It rips through it without blinking. Each hole was under 10 seconds. Great buy, thanks for the heads up on the deal!

eyeguy54

cool. love my fuel and 6 inch nills. it goes and goes and goes. )

Don Schwader

Glad your happy with the RIDGID its a great drill.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Matt I am on my second season with that Dewalt and so far no complaints.I probabely ave.30 holes a trip.I just put it on a clam drill plate last week and drilled 40-45 holes sat.and used the same 4ah batt.It’s on a 6 in.lazer.

Brandon Bell

By the way, I’m on an 8 inch kdrill with the Ridgid Incase anyone is wondering.

Don Schwader

Brandon I’m using a 8″ Mora Strikemaster with my RIDGID drill I always have the top part of the auger in the van so I’ll always have a backup plan. At 45.00 that the auger cost me I know I’m getting by on the cheap, but its a great value for me.

Al Case

Thanks for all of the input on the drills and augers, guys. Special thanks to DTro for his videos!
    After his last video, I think I’ll keep the Rigid I just bought. I wasn’t sure after his first one.
    I’ll be using a Strikemaster Lazer 7 inch auger with it.
    Al

Al Case

Thanks for all of the input on the drills and augers, guys. Special thanks to DTro for his videos!
    After his last video, I think I’ll keep the Rigid I just bought. I wasn’t sure after his first one.
    I’ll be using a Strikemaster Lazer 7 inch auger with it.
    Al

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

I have a perfectly functional and well modified propane auger but jut reading through all of this makes me want to build a cordless drill setup. I’m thinking a Nils 8” on a plate with a Milwaukee or DeWalt. This site causes me to think of too many ways to spend my money

Don Schwader

Dexknows, your saying that like its a bad thing… You can’t be serious.

Brandon Bell

If your going with the cordless set up get that Ridgid deal, you won’t regret it! Thing eats through ice like it’s hungry for it and can’t get enough!

Al Case

What are you using to prevent the auger from deattaching from your drills, regardless of which drill you’re using?

Don Schwader

Well I’m using a 9″ plastic disc I bought my a local store it only cost a few bucks it works well with my Mora Strikemaster auger. Its good insurance!

Al Case

Thanks, Don. Can you give me any more info about that disc and/or a picture of how your put it on, Don?

Don Schwader

Al it is made of thin black polymer it has a narrow slit so you can slip it over the top of the auger. Go to fleetfarm.com and do a search you’ll see just how simple this disc is and just how simple it is to install

Don Schwader

Al, I just took a few pic’s of my drill / auger set up

Attachments:
    1. Ice-drill-set-up-003.jpg

2. Ice-drill-set-up-002.jpg

3. 010.jpg

4. Ice-drill-set-up-001.jpg

Don Schwader

Al the great thing here is I was expecting to have about 400.00 in going the cordless route. By buying when the items were on sale I spent just under 250.00, this set up should keep me on the ice for many years!

eyeguy54

thought about getting the 8 inch nills but I like that the big gills and crappies have a hard time turning around in the hole if I mess up. )

Joel Schanbacher

Al, I have an 8” auger, so I just cut a 5 gal bucket lid down to 9.5 in dia (so it takes up less space). I drilled I think a 1 1/8 hole so it’d barely slip over the auger. I also drilled holes in it so I could see through it. It’d have been way easier if I’d have just gone and bought a 2 gal bucket lid, but I used what I had on hand. Pic below.

Attachments:
    1. 3FB1CE2D-F4AF-4CA7-B8B8-1B88374BB4EE.jpeg

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.