Macbride last night

• Hersh
    Iowa

My son,grandson,and I fished Macbride last night for about three hours. The water is not as clear now. It appears some type of bloom is happening and turning the water a green color. Caught some small crappies and bluegills. The bass were hitting Senko’s with the largest hitting the scale at three pounds. Most fish caught were not up shallow but pulled back in six to ten fow. We saw at most four boats out on the lake. Had a great time on the water with my boys.

wahly
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

On Tues. night I got to take a friend and his 10 yr old boy out on mcbride and we where hoping to cash in on the crappies, but only caught one crappie and 2 little bass. We used jigs tipped with minnows. We did have a good time on the water as the evening was beautifull but this young man would like to catch supper for his mom. Does any one have some tips or how has the bit been for you as we are going again real soon.
    Thanks for any advice, Wahly

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I was out for almost four hours last weekend. Windy day, but if I stayed out of the main lake it wasn’t overpowering. Blanked on the crappies. Finally started throwing a jerk bait and ended up at least bringing in a couple of small bass. There is an algae bloom, and the lake is bright green right now. Water that had 4′ of visibility two weekends ago is now less than a foot.

Macbride’s been tough/lousy for me all year. Wonder if there’s just a crash. I might try calling the fisheries station today and seeing what they have to say about it.

VikeFan

I have been out of the Macbride loop for over a week now, so I don’t know what the bite is like at the moment, or what the algae levels have done to it–they did probably hurt the action.

I am pretty sure there has been no crash in the crappie population, because I have had some very good days in the last two months or so. Crappie populations do run in cycles, but Macbride’s seems OK for this year at least. I get out there a lot, so no doubt my good days are due at least in part to being there at the right time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.