Cone angles?

• IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Can some one tell me why we can’t get larger cone angles on our flasher style units. I really like using my LX7 over the side of the boat but trying to keep track of your jig can be quite challenging. Is there something that limits the cone angle.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Movement. Just like mild current under the ice pushes your jig far enough out of center cone to make it difficult to detect; your boat no matter how you anchor it, is almost never still. Increasing the angle decreases the power so while you will be able to see larger objects further away; like structural changes and large fish, you will have greater difficulty detecting smaller objects like your lure unless they are close to directly under the transducer. With the power needed to see your bait further away on the edge of the cone, you will pick up so many other things, like every minnow in the cone’s angle–so much that you won’t be able to detect which mark is your lure. Use the flasher to mark the fish and then use an action that will encourage the fish to bite. You may have more heads turned than when ice fishing, but in a boat you should be able to introduce your bait to many more potential takers, evening out the odds some.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think you pretty much covered it Ben.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Yes Ben I undestand the extra dificulties the boat adds to picking up you lure. I would just like a bit more than 20 degree. I fish out of the boat quite a bit like I was on the ice, jig pole included. I’ve had fishing partners look at me strange until they are catching little or nothing and I’m having a blast in the other end of the boat.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Use an actual boat sonar like a humminbird; then use the 83khz setting for a bigger beam.

Attachments:
    1. image_thumb10.png

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Use an actual boat sonar like a humminbird; then use the 83khz setting for a bigger beam.

Thanks I have used my boat unit in the past and it does work, I just would like to use my LX7. I have never got any good response on the boat ducer for it. I also like taking it with when I go in other’s boats.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.