Condominium collapses!

• CaptainMusky

Just read it hasn’t been “certified” since 1981. Whatever that means. Woof

Ripjiggen

99 missing, 11 injured, 1 confirmed death.
    Pretty sad deal.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Some people were speculating that there was a sinkhole based on how everything just went down versus debris scattered. IDK about that considering when they intentionally collapse a building it drops just like this thing did.

When they intentionally drop a building… it takes hundreds of strategically placed explosions, to get this effect. Sure looks like if it was on solid ground, it went rather flat for all that concrete and re-bar.

munchy
    NULL

This picture gives me chills.

The bunk bed is on the top floor.

Attachments:
    1. AP21175476775899-1.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I have never heard of a sinkhole in Miami. They usually happen in central Florida and around here.

And for the record, Desantis is the best governor I have ever had.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sink holes? I thought California was supposed to go before Florida

B-man

What a horrible tragedy. My heart and prayers go out to those buried in the rubble.

There will likely be far too many lives lost and ended too soon.

Please keep the families and kids on your mind in the coming days.

CaptainMusky

It keeps getting worse! Now 150 plus unaccounted for?! Sheesh, this is devastating.

stevenoak

I winter in Florida. The damage to metal and concrete is amazing. Imagine the salt that eats our vehicles here. On everything you own, 365 days a year. My brother took a bike down for 4 months. The rims were rusty when he got home. Building codes have changed drastically. Deeper footings, coated rebar, wind tiedowns, and ground floor 14′ above sea-level along the coast. If you’ve seen a heavy salted road bridge, with rusty swelled rebar and cracked concrete. Probably very similar to that buildings construction.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>
    I heard a plane hit it

Classy. waytogo

Would it still be funny if your wife or kids were lying there in the rubble?

Ripjiggen

You clearly missed my sarcasm. I fixed it for you.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

You clearly missed my sarcasm. I fixed it for you.

How is sarcasm even close to appropriate for these circumstances?

Ripjiggen

Dave I was clearly calling out the not so classy response that it was an airplane. You are getting upset at the wrong guy my friend.

CaptainMusky

Dave I was clearly calling out the not so classy response that it was an airplane. You are getting upset at the wrong guy my friend.

Agreed. I think everyone except Dave knew exactly what you meant.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Looks like lack of timely maintenance.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

“would you take low bid a heart transplant? ” How low? coffee

There’s going to be hell to pay for this and I’m sure shotty inspection and construction practices will be in the news for awhile much like after the 35W Bridge collapse. It’s easy to lock the barn after the horse is stolen.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This reminds me of the Bay Area earthquake I experienced in 1991 during the World Series. Sad deal.

CaptainMusky

This reminds me of the Bay Area earthquake I experienced in 1991 during the World Series. Sad deal.

You were there? Wild I am sure!

munchy
    NULL

Similar to the Tennessee/Arkansas Bridge inspection fiasco going on right now. Major failure of a key structural beam and there is evidence it has been like that for a few years now. Each of the yearly inspections missed it.

Thankfully they caught it when they did and able to repair it before people were killed.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Similar to the Tennessee/Arkansas Bridge inspection fiasco going on right now. Major failure of a key structural beam and there is evidence it has been like that for a few years now. Each of the yearly inspections missed it.

Thankfully they caught it when they did and able to repair it before people were killed.
    [/quot

Sadly these type of things happen far more then you think. That’s why I stay so busy at work

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

We lived there at the time. My family lived in a one story rambler and I can recall being hurled off the furniture. The one thing I remember is I went outside and the street lights were going back and forth like they were made of rubber.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

We lived there at the time. My family lived in a one story rambler and I can recall being hurled off the furniture. The one thing I remember is I went outside and the street lights were going back and forth like they were made of rubber.

All I can say is WOW! I think I’d need new underwear. shock

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hope I never feel an earthquake or tremor for that matter. Just imagining it makes my knees weak.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I hope I never feel an earthquake or tremor for that matter. Just imagining it makes my knees weak.

It’s a scary feeling but California has more people than any other state so obviously most of them have minimal fear of it. I for one am glad I do not live there anymore and earthquakes were not the primary reason. Drought and wild fires and cost of living were much bigger, more immediate problems.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>

It’s a scary feeling but California has more people than any other state so obviously most of them have minimal fear of it. I for one am glad I do not live there anymore and earthquakes were not the primary reason. Drought and wild fires and cost of living were much bigger, more immediate problems.

i spent a week down in LA for work long time ago. it was a week way to long. worked not far from the UCLA campus. my eyes burned for a week from the smog. BUT the seaside scenery was awesome!!!!! devil devil whistling

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Read an article on MSN this morning there was a documented report from 3 years ago that building needed 9.1 million dollars worth of repairs. 3.8 of it down in the ramp area alone.

munchy
    NULL

Read an article on MSN this morning there was a documented report from 3 years ago that building needed 9.1 million dollars worth of repairs. 3.8 of it down in the ramp area alone.

If true, let’s hope whoever made the decision to ignore it is sh!tting themselves right now.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.