Cold Weather Fishing Gloves

• happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

It’s about that time of year again. What are your recommendations for the best cold weather water proof fishing gloves? Thanks!

Ryan

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I got a pair of these for free 3 years ago at the ice show when I bought bibs and I love them. They are not ideal below zero, but they are my go to cold weather gloves on the boat and for early/ late ice. I would actually pay money for them again if I ever need to.

Charles

I prefer fingerless wool gloves, I have a few sets that I carry with me. Cheap amazon for like $13

Dan
    Southeast MN

I like a lot of things Ice Armor makes. If I think of it when I’m home I can try and take a picture of what I have.

I have a pair that are insulated on the inside but the outside is more rubber to keep water and slime out. They look like a normal work glove but are pretty decent.

My other method is using their bigger gloves, I have a pair with fingers and one that’s more mitten style. When things are colder I’ll wear those with a hand warmer inside. I can typically jig and somewhat reel with them on but to do anything with much dexterity I just take them off.

Sylvanboat

I prefer fingerless wool gloves, I have a few sets that I carry with me. Cheap amazon for like $13

X2. Make sure to get ones with thumb holes.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I put the rubber nitrile gloves under a thinner work glove so my hands never get wet.
    I work out side all winter and do this from about 25 degrees and down

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I put the rubber nitrile gloves under a thinner work glove so my hands never get wet.

Yep, this is the way to go.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

That’s an awesome trick! Your hands don’t sweat under the rubber gloves?

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’ll second numerous comments here.

Non latex medical gloves are terrific for being water and wind proof. They’re cheap and easily accessible. Plus you can tie knots and bait tiny hooks. I’ll even wear these alone sometimes, including fall fishing.

Those gloves combined with fingerless Amazon wool gloves is a great combo for me on the ice.

Striker Neoprene gloves work pretty well too. Very water resistant, but not waterproof. I’ve been wearing those musky fishing lately.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I prefer to avoid wearing gloves. I don’t have the feel of the rod/reel/line like I do without them. I don’t fish in anything below about 40 degrees on a regular basis and I don’t ice fish so as long as I can tolerate it, I will. If I’m moving from point A to point B in colder temps in the boat I’ll put some on for a while, or if I’m trolling or just sitting there bobber fishing.

Same for hunting. Once it drops below about 40, I wear them because I have to but I prefer the feel of the gun without them.

I knew a guy once years ago that NEVER wore any gloves whatsoever. We’d be out there hunting when it was around 0 degrees and he still didn’t wear any. I swear he didn’t have any feeling left in his hands or he was part big foot lol

buschman
    Pool 2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Yep, this is the way to go.

X3!!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I hate wearing gloves, so I will usually use a muff or pair of choppers to warm up my hands and if needed some thin guerilla gloves to keep the wind off.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

That’s an awesome trick! Your hands don’t sweat under the rubber gloves?

No I never notice my hands sweating at all

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve used Glacier Gloves when casting for muskies in November. I don’t really like wearing gloves either. But when temps get between 10 and 30 degrees, my hands freeze after a few minutes. The Glacier gloves are neoprene and have a fleece lining. They are thin and tight enough to cast and reel without a problem and still are pretty warm.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I prefer to avoid wearing gloves. I don’t have the feel of the rod/reel/line like I do without them. I don’t fish in anything below about 40 degrees on a regular basis and I don’t ice fish so as long as I can tolerate it, I will. If I’m moving from point A to point B in colder temps in the boat I’ll put some on for a while, or if I’m trolling or just sitting there bobber fishing.

At 40 degrees id say no gloves are needed. Unless making a long run. Then it doesn’t matter what gloves you wear. But I wouldn’t call that cold weather gloves.

I work out side year round so my hands are also probably more tolerable to cold then most

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I work out side year round so my hands are also probably more tolerable to cold then most

Oh absolutely I think you can increase your tolerance to it by exposing your hands to cold temps for extended periods of time.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I still like my Serius gloves.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Fingerless wool gloves for me.

Gets real cold I’ll double them up, and put a handwarmer between layers (on top of hand).

Keep your core warm, arm’s warm, and hands follow suit.

There are times I wear actual fingered gloves but far and few between.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.