Cold Brew Coffee

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’ve started getting into cold brew coffee. I found that is less acidic and therefore much easier on my acid reflux. Not to mention it’s WAY more smooth and tastes better. I don’t even need to put cream or sugar in it like I used to with regular coffee.

Anyone else like cold brew?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve started getting into cold brew coffee. I found that is less acidic and therefore much easier on my acid reflux. Not to mention it’s WAY more smooth and tastes better. I don’t even need to put cream or sugar in it like I used to with regular coffee.

I can’t stand any form of cold coffee, but for the acid reflux I have been on a pill I take every 3rd day and it has changed my life for the better. Before I couldn’t even drink water without dying. Now I can eat and drink anything I want.. but my coffee has to be hot.

TH

I have not tried it, but your mentioning it made me read about it. It got a jar brewing. It sounds less acidic and more flavorful and you can heat it up.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve tried it. To me, it’s like a different drink.

I love my coffee and I’m with you on acid reflux, if mine got so bad that I had to switch, I’d just stop coffee entirely. It’d be a sad day because I can’t imagine not sitting in the deer stand with my thermos, but that’s the way it goes.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I do like cold brew. Havent made my own yet. How you been making it?

ThunderLund78

I can’t stand any form of cold coffee, but for the acid reflux I have been on a pill I take every 3rd day and it has changed my life for the better. Before I couldn’t even drink water without dying. Now I can eat and drink anything I want.. but my coffee has to be hot.

I’m a BIG Black coffee guy but have the reflux issue and it seems to get worse as I get older. I will have to try cold brew, but the reflux thing goes with spicy foods, alcohol, etc.

Bearcat, is your pill a prescription or OTC? I’m interested. (not to derail, you can PM me if you want)

BigWerm
    SW Metro

In the afternoon I’ll have a cold brew once in a while, I guess technically mine is usually an Iced Coffee since I’m using coffee that was brewed previously. The difference is Cold Brew is steeped for a long time (12-18 hours) and never boiled or hot, iced coffee is brewed like regular then cooled down. Cold Brew can be sneaky strong though, so tread carefully!

tswoboda

I’ll make cold brew in an aeropress, about as easy as it gets. Make it just like normal, but with cold water and about twice the amount of grounds. Just gotta remember to start it the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight

Riverrat

Went to and Asian market on Sunday. Turns out we had to go there because my friend has developed an addiction to Vietnamese cold brew. I have never seen this girl drink any kind of coffee drink and now shes a case every other week deep into one of the strongest cold brew coffees there is. I cant really say anything though I go through 4 cases of Mtn Dew Kickstarts each month. Be careful though. Not all cold brews are the same and some may have “adverse” digestive side effects for some people.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I’m a BIG Black coffee guy but have the reflux issue and it seems to get worse as I get older. I will have to try cold brew, but the reflux thing goes with spicy foods, alcohol, etc.

Bearcat, is your pill a prescription or OTC? I’m interested. (not to derail, you can PM me if you want)

It is prescription. I asked the lady to shoot me the name of it.
    I went from not being able to eat or drink because my acid reflux was so bad to then I’d get ulcers, now after being on it for a year I can’t remember the last time I have gotten any symptoms let alone dying at night. Literally made life enjoyable again.
    (Edit) the prescription is called PANTOPRAZOLE. And I highly suggest asking the doctor about it if you battle acid reflux.

lindyrig79

I stopped drinking coffee entirely for several years due to reflux and I drank tea instead. I think you have to find what your body will tolerate.

Recently started with the cold brew as a way to get a caffeine kick without needing a Red Bull or soda. Trying to cut down sugar. The cold brew coffee is so smooth compared to regular coffee I can drink it straight and enjoy it.

lindyrig79

I do like cold brew. Havent made my own yet. How you been making it?

Not yet. I have been buying the Stok brand which I really like. But that was my next question. Who makes there own and if any good makers I should look at?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have cold brew or iced coffee when its below 0 outside. Only way to drink coffee.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Who makes there own and if any good makers I should look at?

Pretty much anything works, a French Press would be a good choice if you want a dual purpose. Just make sure you buy good coffee, and have a way of filtering the grounds out.

zooks

I make a cold brew concentrate 3-4 times every summer, use 1 part coarse ground beans to 4.5 parts water by weight and steep it for 12-24 hours in a stainless pot. Even though I strain it though cheesecloth, I still get some sludge on the bottom of every batch.

I prefer making a big batch with at least a 12oz bag of beans each time, keeps in a glass jar in the fridge for about a week and can make a cup as strong or weak as I’d like. Great in cocktails too.

Riverrat

Yeah Screwball PB whiskey and coffee is great. Like really good. A cold Brew PBR coffee beer with a shot of screwball is called a Michelle Obama. I wont say why, but its good.

AK Guy

Are cans of La Colombe considered cold brew? I’m not a coffee drinker, per se, but I do like a can of La Colombe once in awhile. Basically a liquid candy bar with a hint of coffee.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i’m hard core coffee drinker….easily a pot a day iffin i didnt share with my wife. i dont have reflux issues.

as someone who works parttime at a grocery store stocking shelves, and happen to do the aisle with coffee, we have cold brew products…but i dont see to much movement in cold brew products.

not sure if its a thing with the places like caribou…………

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

i’m hard core coffee drinker….easily a pot a day iffin i didnt share with my wife. i dont have reflux issues.

as someone who works parttime at a grocery store stocking shelves, and happen to do the aisle with coffee, we have cold brew products…but i dont see to much movement in cold brew products.

not sure if its a thing with the places like caribou…………

I took the lady to get a caribou the other day. I git hot black coffee and she gets some fancy crap. 2 cups of coffee was 19 bucks. What a rip off, can’t believe that’s a real thing

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i hear ya BC! the Teals store i work at here in Cold Spring just added on a caribou…..yea i aint paying that……i’ll go to the holiday station..or make my own.

i get a Tanzanian whole bean coffee from a guy that has a coffee shop in east burrel PA. 50 bucks gets me 3 lbs delivered to my door……..better then any caribou or any other coffee shop.

acarroline

I prefer cole brew in the warm
    Weather (summer) and hot coffee in the cold weather. I use the attached cold brew jug with normal coffee grounds.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2155.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I took the lady to get a caribou the other day. I git hot black coffee and she gets some fancy crap. 2 cups of coffee was 19 bucks. What a rip off, can’t believe that’s a real thing

LOL this sounds familiar.

Me: dark black roast for $2.49

Wife: something that costs 8 bucks and is filled with all kinds of flavoring, sweetener, and topped with whip cream

Baitwaster
    South metro

I don’t like coffee that even half cools down – plain dark roast here.

It always seems to confuse them when you order a “med black coffee” – it’s almost like you offended them…

You mean you drink plain coffee? – yuck!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Cold Coffee of any sorts,no FN way.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Cold Coffee of any sorts,no FN way.

But have you had it with more cream and sugar than most desserts? Pretty tolerable then! rotflol

Riverrat

If your buying plain black coffee at a Caribou or Starbucks or whatever then really there is nothing to say. Somewhere near you is a truckstop or diner that you know dam well should be the place your ordering your black coffee. If they ask you what size coffee you want might as well order a purple unicorn frappe, same difference.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I can’t do sugar in my coffee once in a great while a splash of real cream but thats it.If my coffee gets below 75-80 degrees i about gag,fresh cup.

lindyrig79

Hot brew coffee that cools down would make me gag too.

Cold brew coffee is completely different.

Cody Meyers

I made a batch of cold brew concentrate after reading this thread. It’s good, I think I’ll tweak some things when I mix my next cup. The one thing that I tend to dislike about coffee is when it is bitter. This batch that I made isn’t bitter at all. Also, I think somebody mentioned this…but this seems like a pretty strong cuppa java. (I made a hot cup with the concentrate)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.