Clearer Water To Blame For Mille Lacs’ Walleye Declining Population

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

By Bill Hudson

May 8, 2019 at 6:19 pm

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — It has perplexed anglers and fisheries biologists for years now: What’s happening to the walleye in Lake Mille Lacs?

Now, after crunching 30 years of lake data, a University of Minnesota research team found some answers.

Few have fished Mille Lacs more than Jerry Riege, of Capra’s Sporting Goods. And what he sees in the water is troubling.

“The problem with Mille Lacs is that it is only 38 feet at the deepest,” Riege said. “Back in the 60s and 70s, you could fish midday in four feet of water with a slip bobber and catch them, and couldn’t see the bottom.

His observation’s confirmed by U of M research. CFANS Researcher Gretchen Hansen and her team looked at the lake’s water clarity and temperature over time.

“We know the walleye populations in Mille Lacs have declined over the past decades,” Hansen said.

Walleye are light sensitive and prefer darker and cooler water.

“So we found that the area of the lake that has suitable walleye habitat in terms of temperature and light conditions has gotten smaller over time,” Hansen said.

What was visible in eight feet of water can now be seen at 12. This is likely due to less runoff from septic systems, fertilized lawns and the infestation of zebra mussels.

“Zebra mussels invaded in 2005 and we saw some indications of additional clarity after that but the biggest change happened prior to the zebra mussels,” Hansen said.

To Riege, it’s a troubling trend.

“The whole dynamics of the lake have changed,” Riege said.

The U’s findings are not only helpful in understanding walleye habitat loss on Mille Lacs, but in hundreds of other Minnesota lakes. That as zebra mussels and environmental changes continue to grow.

Researchers say the clearer water poses a dilemma for natural resource managers. They will be challenged to match safe yearly harvests with shrinking fish habitat.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Really. The lake is cleaner. Thats the latest in the never ending line of excuses / reasons Walleyes are less abundant.

Must be opener week and we get these hard hitting news stories from guys who can’t find Mille Lacs on a map.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Bahahahaha, what a complete load of dung!!! Do they really think people are going to buy into this cover up? If the U really did find this to be true they don’t know their backside from page 8!

Thanks for posting this Jon, gave me a good laugh rotflol

BTW, it hasn’t perplexed fisherman for even a minute…we know the answer to the mystery and have for 20 years.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

These kids need to come up to the lake for a boat ride after a good T-storm blows through. You can’t see bottom in 6 inches of water. coffee

Or perhaps they are advocating we all run our septic lines into the lake to bring it back to normal???

-J.

sticker

These kids need to come up to the lake for a boat ride after a good T-storm blows through. You can’t see bottom in 6 inches of water. coffee

Or perhaps they are advocating we all run our septic lines into the lake to bring it back to normal???

-J.

Or they should go out on top of 3 mile in the middle of the day in August and see walleyes roaming around in 2-3′ of water in full sunshine.

ajw

I mean it does kinda make sense though. Dirtier, more “nutrient” rich water = more micro organisms = more bait fish food = more food for walleyes.

Obviously not that simple but its gotta be at least considered.

Angler II

I mean it does kinda make sense though. Dirtier, more “nutrient” rich water = more micro organisms = more bait fish food = more food for walleyes.

The walleye population, by the dnr’s estimates, is one of the healthiest in the state….Why is this even a discussion anymore?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Well I don’t think anyone who has fished this lake over a long period of time would disagree that the water is clearer. And clear water is not good for walleye. It favors smallmouth bass and pike, which, ironically have increased in population. Whether it is solely to blame is another topic.

sticker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ajw wrote:</div>

The walleye population, by the dnr’s estimates, is one of the healthiest in the state….Why is this even a discussion anymore?

waytogo

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Only in MN, the land of 10,000 lakes, would they claim clean water is a problem. doah

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Is this a regurgitated story form 3 years ago? I swear I read this before, almost exactly. The first thing I did was double check the dates.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

This is a feel good story. It is to make the walleye fishermen feel better about not catching any walleye.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It’s a story you don’t have to work to do. Sit in your office call Capra’s get a quote. Call the U get some papers sent over. Spend a hour organizing, record it, done.

No need to pull up a map. Locate Mille Lacs lake. Go find somebody who has lived on the lake and knows the lake for the history. Call the DNR for their opinion. Compile a story based on a anglers opinion (which is correct, the water is clean) Get the DNR’s input on if clean water is detrimental to the fishes health.

No, his way was easier.

sticker

I have been on the lake for over 25 years and I agree the water is clearer AT TIMES. Doesn’t mean a hill of beans. I still see walleyes in 3′ of water during full sun days. I still see bait fish using the same water. Lake Erie has zebra muscles in it too and it cleared up the water there. I think they still have a couple walleyes in there…

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Ahh I knew it………So it did not have anything to do with the bass eating walleye. What about them nets in the spawning grounds?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Is this a regurgitated story form 3 years ago? I swear I read this before, almost exactly. The first thing I did was double check the dates.

From Star Tribune Jan 2018:

http://www.startribune.com/clearer-mille-lacs-water-stirs-questions/468221373/

Clearer Mille Lacs water stirs questions

As light reaches deeper into the lake, walleye numbers decline.

By Tony Kennedy Star Tribune

January 7, 2018 — 11:46pm

The sharp decline in the Mille Lacs walleye population that began in the late 1990s has coincided closely with significant increases in the lake’s water clarity, new research by the state Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has found.

DNR scientist Gretchen Hansen, who also is studying how invasive zebra mussels and spiny waterfleas are disrupting the food webs within Minnesota’s nine biggest walleye lakes, said the optical conditions in Mille Lacs have changed far more than the lake’s water temperatures. Mille Lacs has warmed since the ’90s, she said, but the water temps have remained suitable for walleyes.

Hansen said the shortage of low-light conditions alone leaves walleyes with less habitat. Similar research on walleye lakes in Canada also found correlations of reduced walleye numbers when water clarity increased. The fish thrive best in low-light, nutrient-rich, cool water.

Hansen presented the initial draft of her research at Friday’s DNR Roundtable in Bloomington, a large annual gathering of invited outdoors stakeholders. She cautioned that her main finding — compiled with historical data — is only a correlation, not an explanation for why the lake’s walleye abundance has crashed. With the population historically low and safe harvest quotas shrinking, it’s become illegal for state-licensed anglers to keep any walleyes during the regular, open-water fishing season.

“Today and to date, it seems like the optical habitat is where there’s been big changes,” Hansen said.

In the late ’90s, when Mille Lacs walleyes were plummeting in number, clarity readings were improving to the point where people could see 6 to 8 feet deeper into the water than they previously saw. Since then, clarity has increased by another 6 feet or so. “That’s a big deal,” Hansen said.

She and DNR fisheries chief Don Pereira said the water started clearing up before the lake became infested with invasive zebra mussels. The mussels themselves are powerful filters — stripping plankton and other nutrients out of the water — but Pereira said it’s his best guess that septic system upgrades around Mille Lacs and in the local watershed had a major effect on water clarity.

Hansen said no one is certain exactly how clearer water is contributing to the chief problem with the fishery: large numbers of baby walleyes dying before they reach the age of 3. One theory is that young offspring have been forced out of shallows that were once sufficiently low in light. The move to deeper water, where larger fish live, has made them more susceptible to predation and cannibalism, the theory goes.

Meanwhile, more studies are being launched to solve the mystery of the lake’s impaired fishery. This spring, the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe, other bands with fishing rights on Mille Lacs and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will begin a walleye tracking study on the big, relatively shallow, lake. Under a grant from the Bureau of Indian Affairs, biologists will attach high-tech tags to juvenile and adult walleyes to help monitor movement.

The project is testing a theory that as lake water temperatures continue to rise and more light invades the depths, walleyes are being squeezed into ever-shrinking spaces that are suitable to them.

sticker

Ahh I knew it………So it did not have anything to do with the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass eating walleye. What about them nets in the spawning grounds?

Don’t be ridiculous! Those things have absolutely zero bearing on the walleye population. doah

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

It will be interesting what the new studies will find. My guess is the zebra mussels have the biggest impact on the low juvenile survival rate. A guy could make a small fortune if you could figure out a way to kill zebras.

Kyhl
    Savage

From Star Tribune Jan 2018:

http://www.startribune.com/clearer-mille-lacs-water-stirs-questions/468221373/

Clearer Mille Lacs water stirs questions

As light reaches deeper into the lake, walleye numbers decline.

By Tony Kennedy Star Tribune

January 7, 2018 — 11:46pm

The sharp decline in the Mille Lacs walleye population that began in the late 1990s has coincided closely with significant increases in the lake’s water clarity, new research by the state Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has found.

Someone needs to remind them that correlation is not causation. Neither is coincidence.

What the stories suggest is that the clearer water may have caused the fish to move, affecting the DNR’s netting surveys more than the real population.

Maybe this is the first step in the DNR starting to understand that possibility.
    Remember, when seconds count they are only minutes away, in the DNR’s case, years behind.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Heard they are importing Lion Mussels from Africa to eat the Zebras. LOL

It will be interesting what the new studies will find. My guess is the zebra mussels have the biggest impact on the low juvenile survival rate. A guy could make a small fortune if you could figure out a way to kill zebras.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Wonder who paid off the U to come up with another BS study this time.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Or they should go out on top of 3 mile in the middle of the day in August and see <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes roaming around in 2-3′ of water in full sunshine.

Agreed! In the early 2000’s, long before the Zeb’s were in the lake on July 4th it was dead calm, blue skies, and at about 2:30 in the afternoon I pulled into the shallows on 3 mile and there were literally hundreds of 20 – 23″ walleyes swimming on top of the reef, you could see them plain as day. It was quite a sight and I figured out how to get a few of them but the bottom was just covered with them.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.