May Fishing

• nirrad
    Des Moines, Iowa

Planning a trip up there early May any suggestions on what could be biting, and what to bring? Never been there before any help appricated

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

We’ve gone there first weekend in May the last four years. Usually there’s a couple stray walleyes that make it to the boat, but we’ve yet to have any sort of spectacular day, or even have anyone limit out (usually 6 or so of us there).

Last year, the yellows were going pretty good all over the lake, but we spent most of our time fishing the outlet. That’s also where our two unfortunate walleyes fell to a minnow under a slip-bobber.

This year, we’re heading for the big river… Hopefully it’s not out of its banks.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

First week of may is often an in between time. The walleye spawn is over and the water usually isn’t warm enough for the yellow bass to be really on. You gotta move to find the yellows, but once you do throw a marker, because I always find where there’s one there are a dozen. Try the top 6-8 feet of Fisherman’s reef straight north of the island, by the island especially if you see waders, the north shore by the Baptist churchcamp, Billy’s reef. Yellows are your best bet, with eyes a possibility. I’d troll for eyes at that time of year.

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

Mid May is the time for the annual walleye classic and ussually there is a great bite on walleyes with the majority of fish taken trolling in shallow water Yellows are starting to put on the feed getting ready for spawn ussually keep moving until active fish are found. May can be good fishing but varying techinques from year to year depending on water temp etc

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

Is the ice off clear lake now and is anyone catching any walleyes. I havent ever fished it for walleyes but would like to this year. Any updates would be appreciated

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

Lake still has ice on it. There has been some open water fishing at grade and east shore but it will be a few days before ice is gone and pre spawn bite starts keep checking in as I will try try and give feild reports and updates all year

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

The big lake is just about totally open now the small lake is still ice covered.The recent snow is keeping the anglers off the lake but as soon as we get some spring weather things should start happening.I AM READY

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.