Mother’s day on the lake

• bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

A bunch of the more sensitive males I know scheduled a tournament for Sunday, not knowing mind you, that it was Mother’s day. There were 10 boats who all fished hard, but only brought 2 15″ plus fish to the dock. I suppose the storms the night before might have had something to do with the poor walleye catch, but it was reportedly poor Saturday as well. Yellow bass and bullheads were another story. Couldn’t keep these nuisance fish off the line. At least the bullheads feel like a walleye until they start to spin and foul your line with that snotty coating they are covered with. Probably caught 30 of each all by accident. If you were fishing for yellows and couldn’t catch 50 you better try golf. All in all it was a good outing. Lots of small walleyes and even a muskie were caught by the crew. Better luck next year.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Maybe it’s not very nice to say, but it’s good to know I’m not the only one who’s having problems finding the bigger eyes there this year.

We’ll figure it out eventually.

curt
    Winnebago, MN

I’ve been meaning to make a trip to Clear Lake for the past 5 years to see if any bass actually live in that lake. Either of you fish for bass at all there?

Curt

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Three years ago, the DNR was doing a creel survey at the ramp. Mostly they were looking to see if anyone had any smallies, and measuring the eyes that were coming in.

We make the same trip there evey spring, two days, usually 6 or more guys, and nobody has ever caught a black bass that I can remember.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Only bass I’ve ever seen come from Clear Lake are Yellows. I suppose there are some, but I wouldn’t go there to fish for them. There are several pits in the Mason City area with good bass populations, try those if you’re confined to the area otherwise fish for yellows or walleyes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.