Cleaning Thermos

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I wanted to clean out my thermos and thought I would share a great way to do it. Pop in one of those dishwasher soap packets fill with hot tap water and let it sit over night. Next day pour out and fill it half full of water and shake. Pour it out again. I did both my thermos’s twice and they look brand new inside. What came out (twenty years of coffee stain) was pretty nasty looking.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t let it build up quite that long, but I’ve found just a quarter cup of baking soda and warm water works. Let it set over night.

Grouse

Cameron white

Yep. Baking soda is the easiest. Leaves no aftertaste.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

No aftertaste with dishwaher soap either just have to rinse it well. I never tried the baking soda. I was just searching for a way on you tube and found the dishwasher tablet trick and it worked great. I used to use the bottle brush way and it never did a good job. Thanks I’m always looking for new ways to do things.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Clean a Thermos? I never considered doing that before.

S.R.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I usually clean mine. Step one fill with coffee in the morning drink it then let it set till I get home from work.
    Step 2 once I’m home I fill with Jameson. Give it a good shake and then drink. The whiskey tastes good and by the time it’s gone you forgot about it being dirty. The next morning your coffee tastes great. Get home and repeat. When your mowing the lawn tote it along with the push mower and your neighbors don’t even know your tuned up

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I usually clean mine. Step one fill with coffee in the morning drink it then let it set till I get home from work.
    Step 2 once I’m home I fill with Jameson. Give it a good shake and then drink. The whiskey tastes good and by the time it’s gone you forgot about it being dirty. The next morning your coffee tastes great. Get home and repeat. When your mowing the lawn tote it along with the push mower and your neighbors don’t even know your tuned up

yup

catmando
    wis

Baking soda is a great idea,take it one step further,fill thermos one quarter full with ice cube’s,shake it ,and shake it some more ,the ice scrub’s the inside of the thermos. DK.

Brian B

I fill mine about half full with warm water and drop in an alkaseltzer tablet. Put cap back on and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Still looks brand new

pass0047
    Pool4

If I remember right from working in restaurant and cleaning coffee pots. Lemon juice, ice and salt and swirl around. Ice and salt for abrasion and lemon of or acidity. Lots cleaned up well.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

AlkaSeltzer is a bi-card like baking soda isn’t it. Nether words, same thing two different company’s?

Sharon
    SE Metro

Clean a Thermos? I never considered doing that before.
    S.R.

I guess I don’t really “clean” them either. I just rinse everything out with very hot water and let it dry.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i’ve used baking soda and bleach! and no bleach doesnt leave an after taste, just rinse out good. pretty sure i used vinegar also!!!!!!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

i’ve used baking soda and bleach! and no bleach doesnt leave an after taste, just rinse out good. pretty sure i used vinegar also!!!!!!

Just don’t mix bleach and vinegar!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

Just don’t mix bleach and vinegar!

sounds like an outdoor science project to me!!!!!!! devil devil jester

Yellow Fever
    Kingston Ontario

I to use bleach, all it takes is half a spoonful and it works well.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

If I remember right from working in restaurant and cleaning coffee pots. Lemon juice, ice and salt and swirl around. Ice and salt for abrasion and lemon of or acidity. Lots cleaned up well.

Bingo!!! I think we just used salt and ice, but…

But clean it out??? Hmmm…

Mark

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.