Clam Rod Tape

• Al Case

Is this tape any better than electrical tape for securing the reel to the rod? Does it work well?
    Thanks,
    Al Case

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not sure about the clam tape but I use hockey tape. It’s made for cold weather. I rub some wax on the end of the tape to keep it from unraveling.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Silicone (Clam) tape does not have any adhesive (it sticks to itself) so there is no residue left on the cork…..
    Just stretch it tight as you put in on and it works real well and is real easy to remove if you use your reels in the summer…I buy regular “self-sealing”silicone tape you can get at Menards…
    I use a small piece of regular electrical tape to stop the ends from working loose and it works like a charm….
    No sticky stuff left on the cork….

Al Case

Good to know, Mudshark. I’m sure the Menards tape is cheaper, too. The normal price for the Clam tape is $10 for 25 feet.
    Al

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well the Menards tape is about $5 for 10ft …..
    If you can buy the Clam without shipping you’re ahead of the game….

I know 10ft will last 2 years for me……

Al Case

Even better to know! I bought it on sale @ Cabelas store for $8. I was ready to return it until your reply.
    al

WarEagle

Castration rings and castration pliers. Say you get to use the pliers for every ice rod you will ever own from here on out and that cost $7. Now you use 4 castration rings. rings were 1.99 for 200 I think. Pretty cheap and pretty reasonable. Call it $.20 per rod?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

The only thing I never cared for with the rings is that they dented the cork……

Al Case

I’ve got the rod rings on them now…not the castration rings. I don’t like the rod rings, as they’re too loose. That’s why I’m switching back to the tape. Are the castration rings tighter than the ones you buy at shops like Thorne Brothers?

404 ERROR
    MN

A couple of months back, I got a sample of this type of silicone tape at work. I thought to myself, this would be amazing on my custom rods to not damage the cork. Here I sit, reading this, and Clam already put their name on it? I see Menards sells the same stuff, as mentioned above. It’s great stuff and works awesome.

It is called X-treme tape and it’s made my Mocap out of Missouri.
    http://www.xtremetape.com

Mike Oak

I pre-wrap the rod/real with Glad Press’n Seal. It sticks a little and won’t leave residue. Then you don’t have to worry about tackiness from electrical tape.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.