Clam plate gearbox

• Coletrain27

Anyone running the clam power drive gear box on there clam plate? I’m thinking about trying it to slow my auger speed down. When fishing in a portable or with no shack I don’t have a problem but when in my wheelhouse the auger speed is so fast that it throws ice chips all over the house floor and makes a mess.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

You don’t have a variable speed drill?

Coletrain27

yea its variable speed but when you try to go really slow there isnt as much power and will stall. and im also using a slush bucket most the time but some holes are in tight areas and it doesnt like to fit very well

TOM

I ran one all season last yr. On my 8″ nils and love it. Can feel the difference at the end of the cut, no jerking or jarring feeling. Well worth it imo.

TOM

With the clam plate and gear box, it’s not how fast you can get there. It’s more about how you get there and the drive there is great!

Coletrain27

With the clam plate and gear box, it’s not how fast you can get there. It’s more about how you get there and the drive there is great!

I like Sunday drives sometimes waytogo

deertracker

So does the gearbox just help not burn out your drill?
    DT

Coletrain27

So does the gearbox just help not burn out your drill?
    DT

From what I’ve learned yes it makes it easier on your drill and your battery will last a lot longer along with slowing the speed of the auger

deertracker

Thanks. Never heard of it until I was checking marketplace for a Clam plate and it popped up.
    DT

Bradley Biegert

the gear ratio on the gear box is 3.6 to 1. it slows down the auger but add double the torque so you can run 8 or 10 inch augers on it. if running a 10 inch from a power auger you will need the clam/kdrill adapter as this allows an auger from a gas auger to be used. if running an 8 inch just make sure it is an 8 inch hand auger or you would need the adapter too.

Coletrain27

Yea I already have the clam plate and 8” lite flite auger setup. I think I’m gonna add the gearbox to the plate this year and try it

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Yea I already have the clam plate and 8” lite flite auger setup. I think I’m gonna add the gearbox to the plate this year and try it

I have the same setup and I added the gear box to mine. Major difference, lots more torque and less speed especially when you first start the drill going.

Well worth buying..

Coletrain27

Thanks Icenutz. I’m gonna pick one up next time I’m at scheels

whytie
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

I have the same setup and I added the gear box to mine. Major difference, lots more torque and less speed especially when you first start the drill going.

Well worth buying..

any difference in battery usage?

mrpike1973

I plan on getting this for my 8 inch strike light could it be used on a 6 inch auger as well? I can either switch augers or get another plate I don’t want to be taking the adaptor on and off. I was just going to order another plate with the pro but gonna hold off until someone may know.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Or just buy a good drill.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I plan on getting this for my 8 inch strike light could it be used on a 6 inch auger as well? I can either switch augers or get another plate I don’t want to be taking the adaptor on and off. I was just going to order another plate with the pro but gonna hold off until someone may know.

I used to think the same thing. But after I had a 6 and a 8 inch bit and the lite flite 8 drilled so nice on my clam plate, I ended up selling my 6 inch set up

mrpike1973

Thanks Bearcat good to know.

Coletrain27

Or just buy a good drill.

What’s a “good drill”? And how does makita/dewalt/rigid/Milwaukee vary? There all variable speed drills and if you try to go slow you have no power and the drill binds. I don’t care what kind of drill you have it will do that

MX1825

I run a 8 inch Lite flite with a Clam plate on a Dewalt hammer drill. Never a problem binding as long as the battery has a good charge and blades are sharp.

Coletrain27

I run a 8 inch Lite flite with a Clam plate on a Dewalt hammer drill. Never a problem binding as long as the battery has a good charge and blades are sharp.

Even when trying to go slow while drilling and not full speed? I’ve used rigid and Milwaukee and they both will if I don’t go full speed

TOM

I’m running the Ridgid octane hammer drill with 9ah battery. It’s rated at 1300 inch/lbs and never had an issue in speeds 1 or 2.

Coletrain27

I’m running the Ridgid octane hammer drill with 9ah battery. It’s rated at 1300 inch/lbs and never had an issue in speeds 1 or 2.

Same exact setup I’m using. I just want it to spin slower for my wheelhouse

TOM

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TOM wrote:</div>

Same exact setup I’m using. I just want it to spin slower for my wheelhouse

Yep, the clam Gear box and Speed 1 on the drill will take care of that. Smooth drilling!

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

How slow are you trying to go? Sounds like you might just need a little more experience. I’ve never had a problem with a Pistol Bit and a Milwaukee 2804 on low. Also shaver blades take less torque and throw less chips than chipper (KDrill) style.

Coletrain27

How slow are you trying to go? Sounds like you might just need a little more experience. I’ve never had a problem with a Pistol Bit and a Milwaukee 2804 on low. Also shaver blades take less torque and throw less chips than chipper (KDrill) style.

Just a little slower so it don’t throw ice all over the floor. The gearbox should take care of that and increase battery life and life of the drill.

MX1825

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MX1825 wrote:</div>

Even when trying to go slow while drilling and not full speed? I’ve used rigid and Milwaukee and they both will if I don’t go full speed

Don’t have a wheel house so I don’t drill slow I guess.

Coletrain27

update, i ended up getting the gearbox installed and tested it out over the weekend. im very pleased with it. we drilled about 70 holes in 12″ of ice on saturday and only went through half of a 9ah battery. both the guys i was with have clam plates and want the gearbox also now lol.

TOM

Clam hit a homerun with the clam plate and gearbox for the ice fishing community imo.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.