City Lakes Spots/Techniques?

• Jesse D.

I’m just getting back into ice fishing since I was much younger. Got all the gear out on Nokomis today and remembered why I love it. But I do neither know or remember anything about how to do it!

Any suggestions on depths and tackle for city lakes?

Deuces

I get sick of drilling thousands of holes for basin crappies.

I live and die on the weedlines. Sometimes do very well, sometimes not a thing.

Active jiggin got northerns yesterday. Bigger walleye rattle spoons would get smoked. Recommend at least 14# leader. Tied onto 6# line made for fun fight, never had the need for bigger ice rods…..

Jesse D.

How are you finding weed lines?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Nokomis is a basin crappie bite. Not much of a weed line like the other city lakes.

The other city lakes are weed line oriented. They are more feast or famine as Beads mentions.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

How are you finding weed lines?

Look for the steep breaks and drill. They grow up high. Depending on the lake the backsides might be out to 20’.

If you drive by them in the summer you can see the growth and orient yourself to it.

Deuces

Google maps satellite view will get you to shallower weeds.

djshannon
    Crosslake

Go out and look at the Navionics ChartViewer. I grew up not far from Nokomis. The depths and locations on the Viewer are fairly close.

I would try off the deep hole on the mid-east shore.

Jesse D.

Nokomis is a basin crappie bite. Not much of a weed line like the other city lakes.

The other city lakes are weed line oriented. They are more feast or famine as Beads mentions.

That’s certainly the case. I fish it often in open water for that challenge but ice fishing seems to be much more difficult so far.

Jesse D.

Go out and look at the Navionics ChartViewer. I grew up not far from Nokomis. The depths and locations on the Viewer are fairly close.

I would try off the deep hole on the mid-east shore.

Thanks. That’s certainly where several houses have been up since the ice came in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.