Christmas in August

• Gitchi Gummi

Marijuana is finally legal starting today. It’s about dang time. Cheers to everyone now partaking in this legal pastime.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Marijuana is finally legal starting today. It’s about dang time. Cheers to everyone now partaking in this legal pastime.

It is about time. Still will get the same judgements as always I’m sure. But at least it’s legal.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’m kinda with EPG on this. While it is due time its legal, much less dangerous than booze. However we really have no idea what this is going to look like for use. I for one and anyone with a carry permit should tread lightly when there name gets logged somewhere for purchase of weed. As you signed to not be involved in those type of activities. Maybe I’m wrong but some thought needs to go into this.

Gitchi Gummi

It’s illegal to carry when under the influence of alcohol as well. No difference there.

Alcohol causes many more problems, crashes, and deaths than marijuana does. Yet people don’t have any problems with alcohol being legal.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m kinda with EPG on this. While it is due time its legal, much less dangerous than booze. However we really have no idea what this is going to look like for use. I for one and anyone with a carry permit should tread lightly when there name gets logged somewhere for purchase of weed. As you signed to not be involved in those type of activities. Maybe I’m wrong but some thought needs to go into this.

Never been to worried about buying from a dispencery, to expensive any ways. For non smokers are heavy drinkers no one expects them to be to thrilled. For lots and lots of people it’s a big deal to decriminalize

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

Are you considering changing your name to Gitchi Gummies?

CaptainMusky

There are quite a few people I know who are irate about this. To me its a nothingburger, but one guy said “now I have to worry about someone being stoned at work”. I said well I would guess most people that are going to use already do so that could already be happening. What do you think? Ive done it before but I dont really see myself partaking much.

Sharon
    SE Metro

There are quite a few people I know who are irate about this. To me its a nothingburger, but one guy said “now I have to worry about someone being stoned at work”. I said well I would guess most people that are going to use already do so that could already be happening. What do you think? Ive done it before but I dont really see myself partaking much.

Many people who don’t use marijuana have reasons that are unrelated to its legality. So making it legal isn’t necessarily going to automatically lead to everyone suddenly now deciding to use it. Especially at work. Alcohol is legal yet we generally don’t worry about our coworkers being drunk at work.

Jimmy Jones

Alcohol causes many more problems, crashes, and deaths than marijuana does. `

This has yet to be determined since mary jane has only been legal here a day.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My guess is those that will smoke at work have been doing so long before today

CaptainMusky

I was thinking the same dang thing BC!

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gitchi Gummi wrote:</div>

It’s been legal in many states for awhile now.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gitchi Gummi wrote:</div>

Those numbers have been out in other states a long time and Canada, Germany and many other places

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

It’s illegal to carry when under the influence of alcohol as well. No difference there.

Alcohol causes many more problems, crashes, and deaths than marijuana does. Yet people don’t have any problems with alcohol being legal.

The big difference is that its not a federal felony to have a beer if you own a gun. It is a federal felony to smoke a joint if you own a gun. https://www.atf.gov/news/pr/atf-provides-clarification-related-new-minnesota-marijuana-law

CaptainMusky

BassNEyes with the buzzkill LOL. That is interesting that you cannot own or possess if you use marijuana. Hmmm.

Gitchi Gummi

Good call out Bassneyes. There is a gray area there. THC can be consumed from hemp, which is not federally illegal (that I’m aware of), as well as delta 8 and 9 which are chemically different compounds than normal THC and thus have skirted the federal issue. There is no test that can distinguish the source of THC in your body.

Umy
    South Metro

This was only a matter of time in my opinion and we’re stuck with it now.
    I have a friend who has a product he has been selling as a business ( totally legal) containing the “active” ingredients.
    All I will say is, when I asked a few pointed questions his response was ” they have no -ucking idea what they are doing. Totally at odds with themselves and did no research or in-depth look at how this will work with other laws, situations ….. just pushed it through and worry about the details later”) He is amazed by how lax it is and how easy it will be to circumvent some of the legalities of it.
    His two cents – he works through the red tape more than I ever will so I will bow to his experience.
    I was a big user in my day and I think alcohol is way more prevalent and issue causing. THat being said people are already inattentive while driving with their phones, their 12″ electronic navigation screens etc. Wait til we start seeing those same people driving only now they’re stoned to boot.
    That being said, I am going to get in front of this and say that, in a very short time, a year or two, when we start seeing some of the fallout and legislative issues this causes ( taxes, business, police, crimes as a result of or while under the influence etc ) I will just reply to the thread with a whistling

Sharon
    SE Metro

So reading the ATF info, basically since marijuana is illegal at the federal level anyone using marijuana either recreationally or for approved medical purposes is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammo. Doesn’t get much more clear than that. You gotta pick one or the other.

Attachments:
    1. atf-news-release.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This was only a matter of time in my opinion and we’re stuck with it now.
    I have a friend who has a product he has been selling as a business ( totally legal) containing the “active” ingredients.
    All I will say is, when I asked a few pointed questions his response was ” they have no -ucking idea what they are doing. Totally at odds with themselves and did no research or in-depth look at how this will work with other laws, situations ….. just pushed it through and worry about the details later”) He is amazed by how lax it is and how easy it will be to circumvent some of the legalities of it.
    His two cents – he works through the red tape more than I ever will so I will bow to his experience.
    I was a big user in my day and I think alcohol is way more prevalent and issue causing. THat being said people are already inattentive while driving with their phones, their 12″ electronic navigation screens etc. Wait til we start seeing those same people driving only now they’re stoned to boot.
    That being said, I am going to get in front of this and say that, in a very short time, a year or two, when we start seeing some of the fallout and legislative issues this causes ( taxes, business, police, crimes as a result of or while under the influence etc ) I will just reply to the thread with a whistling

Going to guess the users are going to be the same guys already driving stoned working stoned. Criminals will be Criminals and good people will be good people. I don’t recall one time getting stoned and thinking I should rob a bank. More so that I should cook a huge meal for myself. As we see in multiple other states, there hasn’t been any ill effects. I see how many cars at the bar every single day, how many worry about how many drinks every driver has had, from watching over the years most are over the limit.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So reading the ATF info, basically since marijuana is illegal at the federal level anyone using marijuana either recreationally or for approved medical purposes is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammo. Doesn’t get much more clear than that. You gotta pick one or the other.

Don’t recall ever getting tested when buying a gun. My guess is everyone will be golden unless your a dumb ass

Sharon
    SE Metro

Don’t recall ever getting tested when buying a gun. My guess is everyone will be golden unless your a dumb ass

No of course they’re not going to do that. But if you light up a joint and end up encountering law enforcement does this mean they now have grounds to seize any and all firearms and ammo you have? Seems like a big risk for an avid hunter or gun enthusiast.

I feel like this would all be more clear if the federal laws and state laws aligned better.

Coletrain27

Got all my grow supplies on the way since I don’t already have enough hobbies whistling peace

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Do the federal laws ever actually get enforced? Would it be up to the local/ state law enforcement to report you to federal law enforcement?
    For the smokers I know this law changes very little. They’ve always smoked, illegal or not, and will continue to buy from black market sources to avoid inflated prices and tax.
    You’re already sharing the workplace and road with smokers so most probably won’t notice a change there either.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sharon wrote:</div>

Agreed it’s unlikely to have an issue but this is what I was talking about in my reply. The fed and state are not aligned in this and someone could run into an issue.

Jimmy Jones

Maybe testing should be a pre-requistite to buying a gun or getting the carry permit. Maybe those with current permits should have to submit to random, un-announced testing, since the feds do the background checks. I’d be fine with that.

And in my opinion, anyone using this crap or who smokes period is a dumb ass.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’m in favor of legalization, but to say there will be no effect is just not fact.

Attachments:
    1. weed.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Maybe testing should be a pre-requistite to buying a gun or getting the carry permit. Maybe those with current permits should have to submit to random, un-announced testing, since the feds do the background checks. I’d be fine with that.

And in my opinion, anyone using this crap or who smokes period is a dumb ass.

In the most polite way possible. Don’t think any one cares about your opinion. We all have them. And i mean that with all due respect.
    The way you feel about pot is how most non drinkers feel about drunks. If you get drunk you shouldn’t have a gun rotflol

Riverrat

21 G is still an issue until the Feds reschedule. Even that might not change anything on the 4473. Until they change the “unlawful user” language firearm ownership is still an issue. And if you don’t think Pro 2A groups wont use it against you just ask Hunter how that’s going.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.