Choosing a rod blank to duplicate a a factory rod

• Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Guys,
    I have an “off the shelf” rod I am quite happy with. I’d like to put together a custom build for myself to replicate this current rod. I can easily choose a similar grip, guides and rod tip. My issue is choosing a blank which will replicate this off the shelf rod. From what I’m seeing the blank descriptions can be vague and confusing.

The rod which I’d like to replicate is an older Jason Mitchell Meat Stick in a 24 inch version labeled as “medium”. I use it primarily for panfish, but quite often pull up bass, catfish and the occasional walleye. The rod has an extremely sensitive tip section which quickly transitions into a decent (not heavy) backbone. I find I can detect even the lightest of bites, while still being able to control the fish with the backbone of the rod. My best description would be medium power, fast action, panfish rod.

Anyone familiar with the Meatstick and can recommend a bare blank to replicate it? I know the easiest thing would be just go buy another Jason Mitchell Meatstick for $40.00 but I’d just like to do a custom build. (for about the same money)

Bassn Dan

Pay the $40 and buy a new Meatstick. There’s no such thing as building ONE rod – you’ll end up making dozens…

Deuces

From your description Dave I have that same phenomenal rod.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

In many cases, you can not buy the exact same blank. To keep rods propriety to themselves they have blanks made to their specifications

Red Eye

Buy a carbon blank and sand it it down to match taper.

Lee

It would be tough to replicate the Meatstick. It has a proprietory handle and guides too. I have broken a couple and dismantled them for recycling. The blank is solid glass I believe. It’s got an interesting fast action. You couldn’t build it for $40. A custom built rod will likely be more money. Like BassnDave said, There’s no such thing as building ONE rod – you’ll end up making dozens…
    I loved the Meatstick until I got a TUCR (as a gift), and some Thorne Bros blanks or two, and built a couple with blanks from Basskhang, and some other vendors too. Honestly I liked the ticklestick and Wicked 13 rods much better than the Meatstick as well. My point is, there are a lot of great options out there that will give you the backbone and sensitive tip you are looking for, both commercially or through a custom builder.
    What you have here is a shopping opportunity. LOL

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’ve already succumbed to the rod building money pit. Was just hoping someone had already built on a blank which matched or closely matched the action I described. I build my own spearing decoys too, and believe me, I can buy functioning decoys cheaper and quicker than I can make them. (same with my cedar duck hunting decoys, being hand carved and painted)

The blank is solid glass I believe. It’s got an interesting fast action. You couldn’t build it for $40.

You are correct in that it is a solid glass blank. I already have suitable guides, just trying to match up a blank. I may end up buying a bundle of blanks and attempting some sanding on them. It will give me something to do. doah I plan to glue up some solid cork scraps I have laying around from my duck decoy carving. Chuck the cork blocks in a lathe and turn a few “one off” cork handles for the rod(s).

Biggest reason for wanting to buy a blank that did not need modified, I thought I might make several to give to friends and family.

Still open to more suggestions for a specific blank that is available for purchase. Thanks

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

You can go and ask Thorne Bros to sell you the Power Noodle rod, since the JM Meat Stick was based on that design.

Bassn Dan

Sounds like it’s too late for you to be saved from rodbuilding! : )

Go to this site https://matpeirce.wixsite.com/peircecustomrods/rod-blank-profiling Download the Rod Blank Profile xls.file and look for some blanks that are close in profile to the rod you like. (Just measure between the guide wraps and estimate the areas that you can’t measure.) That should give you a starting point.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Call Jason Mitchel and find out who built them. I’m sure it’s from China but so are most.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I stopped by at Cabela’s in Owatonna today on my way home from Northern MN. Let me tell you, the roads were a skating rink. Hwy 169 North of the cities was 50 to 80% ice covered. I35 South of the cities was, two tires on pavement, two tires on ice. Stopped at Cabela’s mostly for a rest break.

Browsed thru the ice rods while I was there. Ended up buying a Dave Gentz Powerstick, 26″ Noodle. Paid $15.00 for the rod only. Still going to build something, but I’m thinking I will like this new rod. Gentz PowerstickGentz PowerstickGentz Powerstick

Several cars in the ditches and a couple accidents along my route home. Stay safe guys on your Monday morning commute, I suspect it will still be a bit icy in places.

Corey sunderman

Check out basskhang.com look into his panfish noodle or his power noodle. The meststick is probably closer to the panfish noodle. Has white and black blanks. The power noodle has a heavier backbone

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

I would say the closest to that blank would be DH custom noodle blank or V-line customs Gnarly noodle.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Check out the link Bassn Dan supplies. Matt, myself, and a flew others have been working for years to develop that data base. Since you said you had a lathe it is easy to chuck up the blank and shape it. Use the data base to find a blank that is heaver than what you are looking for and wet sand away. Make sure to use a mask.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Bassin Dan

Good info, Thanks for the link. wave

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

The meatstick is a glass blank and the cheapest blank you can but is the Economy solid fiberglass blanks from Jann’s Netcraft. They are not the best blank designs but are priced just right for practice shaping.

https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/economy-ice-rod-blanks/

I did look at those before you posted. They are a bit small in diameter at the butt for what I’m looking for but yes might make good practice pieces. I also found some glass blanks on E-bay which might work for the finished rod as well as cheap enough for practice.
    Good work on the data base, should be helpful for modifying the action of any blank.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Look at the BassKahng blanks.
    Ive found best luck buy just biting the bullet and buying one of every “model” from a supplier so you have something to compare. Give the ones you dont like to a friend as a gift.
    Cut them to length of your choice. I strongly urge you to try and use as long of a rod as you can. Even going up 2-4″ in length makes a big difference in getting a better action out of a short ice rod.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Give the ones you dont like to a friend as a gift.

I usually end up doing just the opposite, go figure. grin
    24 to 28 works well inside the shelter I use. I agree a longer rod is preferable as far as getting “the most” out of any rod. I picked up a bargain yesterday that is 26 inch. Normally only sold as a combo for $40.00 was missing the reel and rod only was priced at $15.00 (Dave Gentz powerstick 26″ noodle) Couldn’t pass it up at that price.

onepine
    Elk River

BassKhang has several blank styles with butt and tip measurements. Good quality blanks that fish well. Carbon blanks are really feel the bite sensitive and fiberglass blanks are really show the bite sensitive. He will ship blanks and components also. https://basskhang.com/collections/ice-rod-blanks

Lee

I’m NOT a rod expert. BUT I know what I like. My rods look home made. So my opinions are based on my opinions. Here is what I have found. The storebought TUCR noodle is awesome, as is my TB Perch Sweetheart. The Thorne Bros blanks I purchased made awesome rods. For what the blanks cost I shoulda just bought a custom. (quiverstick blank made my favorite perch rod. I can feel so much! The TB noodle build competes with my TUCR for whichever is favorite when I’m in a light tip-watching-bite, and it too has great ‘feel’sensitivity) Those blanks are expensive. That being said, the rods I’ve built using basskhang (panfish carbon)seem practically the same for feel and I like them as much, with a huge disparity in price! Of course I’ve noted differences…maybe the blank-spine isn’t quite as refined. But I can feel the fish bite! I really liked the basskhang glass noodle rod too, just not my cup of tea…but I’d say that $8 blank made a rod I preferred over my Meatsticks, and it performs like the ‘Schooly’s’.
    DH has nice glass blanks. We have a couple el dente’s in the family
    My ‘Mudhole’ blanks are okay, but I can’t feel nuthin…

Like onepine said:

I noted fast shipping

Lee

Well I noticed from another forum, rod-building and comparisons can be a HOT topic. It’s important to know what YOU like and want, and what makes YOU satisfied. Piecing things together; messing around with my stuff; makes ME happy.
    So…have fun with it!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Well I noticed from another forum, rod-building and comparisons can be a HOT topic. It’s important to know what YOU like and want, and what makes YOU satisfied. Piecing things together; messing around with my stuff; makes ME happy.
    So…have fun with it!

Rod building (and buying) is like a box of chocolates, ya never know just exactly what you’re gonna get. AND you can never eat just one!

Lee

It’s that word “need”
    I ‘need’: a couple bluegill rods, a couple perch rods, some for in-shack use, some for outside; some for hole hopping; some dead-stick rods; just the right setup for jigging spoons or Raps… Then there are walleye rods…. grin

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I did look at those before you posted. They are a bit small in diameter at the butt for what I’m looking for

What size are you looking for? The 43″ is 0.32

Lee

Are they too small in the butt because you are planning to make a rod with a fixed reel seat? If so, Netcraft sells a ‘graphite arbor’. And there’s always a few wraps of masking tape. Again…I’m a hack, so don’t know what the pro’s use.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

What size are you looking for? The 43″ is 0.32

The Meatstick I want to replicate is 24″ in length. The specs for the Netcraft blank list at; 24″ length, 5.5 tip, .185″ butt diameter.
    Looking at it again,The specs listed for the 24 inch blank are questionable, because as listed, the tip size (assuming MM units) is larger than the butt size, weird.

The specs for another blank from a different source are Tip: .7 ; Butt. 6mm Which would be more in line with what I’m looking for.

And there’s always a few wraps of masking tape.

It’s not about fitting a handle or grip.
    Didn’t figure the .185 diameter in a glass blank would give me the backbone wanted.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

“Browsed thru the ice rods while I was there. Ended up buying a Dave Gentz Powerstick, 26″ Noodle. Paid $15.00 for the rod only. Still going to build something, but I’m thinking I will like this. “ All this for a $15 rod? You are one hardcore fisherman.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

“Browsed thru the ice rods while I was there. Ended up buying a Dave Gentz Powerstick, 26″ Noodle. Paid $15.00 for the rod only. Still going to build something, but I’m thinking I will like this. “ All this for a $15 rod? You are one hardcore fisherman.

I’m confused by your comment. Full retail combo price is $40.00, You don’t like a bargain? Did you miss the part where I said my primary reason for stopping was to take a break from driving on icy roads? Should I be browsing $200 rods to earn your respect?

PmB

^ worthless post. 3 strikes your out!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.