South center crappies

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Part 2 of fishing trip yesterday was spent on south center lake. Since the croix was a bust we opted for chaseing some shallow water crappies. I was suprised to see that there where 55 degree water temps at the landing. As we hit the main lake it dropped to 48 and then back up to 55 in the first bay wqe stopped at. This small bay was full of crappies, sunfish, and bass. Light jigs and rubber minnows where the ticket for catching these fish. There where many times when the jig would hit the surface and hundreds of crappies would splash all over the place. They where thick. That is the school was thick not the crappies. They where small fish. 6″ to 8″ average. At least it was something to do for the afternoon.
    As we where leaving we did notice the large schools of fish extended outside of the bay for a long ways also.

Good luck fishing.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I hit SC on saturday during the rain. Caught quite a few 5-9 inch crappies with some 7-8 inch sunnies thrown in. Minnows, waxies, and those do nothing jigs worked. I caught most of the fish in 3-5 feet of water. Also saw some guys casting some spinnerbaits back by the Resort/trailer park. I didn’t know crappies liked those 1/2 ounce spinner baits.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.