Chisago panfish bite

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was planning on fishing yesterday for over a week…then at the last minute my wife informed my that my truck was to be worked on and I wouldn’t have any wheels.

BUT one of our new members, Mile 832 came to my rescue. He picked me up at the auto dealer and off to Chisago Chain we went. Thanks Tim!

We only had about 2 hours to fish and brought home about 8 gills. We were running a camera which gave us a good view of all the fish down there…mostly of the ones that just looked. We had to sort…but still managed some keepers.

We had a good time…but needed more of it! It’s funny how fast time flys when your talking cat fishing!

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for the report. Did you manage any crappies? I’m assuming waxies or eurolarvae were the ticket.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Euro larva did the best and we did hook some with waxies. It was funny, when we dropped the camera down there were crappies swimming around. Once we started fishing…we never saw them again.

BigCat

I fished there last Saturday and caught one bluegill after another with Eurolarvea. Caught around 10 crappies, but the size wasn’t there. Also managed to pull a nice large mouth out of the ice on a crappie minnow. Plan on heading to Green this weekend, but a little scared of the army of icemen back by the bay.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Ryan, I fished green back in narrows leading to bay. Tons of people there saturday evening. Caught a bunch of small sunnies and crappies on waxies. Stayed till dark and then left due to the wind picking up. Saw some decent northerns caught on tip ups down there too. Do you usually pick up some better crappies after dark in that area? You’d think there would be some 10″ers in there with the 9″ minimum.

BigCat

A friend of mine picked up a few bigger ones there last weekend. I have fished it quite a bit in the past few years and just depends on the day. There are some nights you can catch your limit of 10+ inchers, but most of the time it’s the classic Green lake 8 1/2 inchers. It seems the bigger crappies bite at sundown and in just an hour into dark on crappie minnows. I have always had the best luck earlier in the year for bigger ones. Later in the year I am guessing they wander to deeper water. Northland forage minnow fry green glow has always worked best for me and an ice buster bobber on line # 2.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve been out there three times now…each time the size is smaller…fished a little deeper today.

We had a nice northern and a small eye come through the camera…

Great day to be out…

BigCat

Went out Saturday by myself, buddies wife had him running errands all day. Did okay back by the points, caught quite a few crappies with 6 over 9″ mininium. Caught most of the bigger ones around 4:30 in about a ten minute span. One crazy thing is I caught two nice gills on minnows. Don’t see that often.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.