Chisago Lakes

• dank
    Minneapolis, MN

This is one of my favorite areas to fish, I haven’t had the chance to get out so I wondering if anyone has yet.
    I looking for a small report and/or water temps.

Thanks,
    A

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Just thought I would get this active.

I will be fishing these lake Sunday for sure. I will most likely be hitting Chisago on Wednes too, any info would be awesome in regards to temp and wht bass are doing.

Thanks

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I made a call, so this info is 3rd party. The water temps were upper 60’s and the bass were post spawn. Rattle traps and spider gubs were the best baits in 6′ of water and less. Hope this helps.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks a for the reply Mike. I am thining about heading out there tonight if the weather holds.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

This seems like my personal thread. lol

Was out there on Sunday for 8-9 hrs for a small club tourney. Got out there at 6 and started by fan casting small cranks, spinnerbaits, and top water. Without getting much attention from the bass we switched tactics and change to small finnesse worms. We fish the shallows, 2-5 foot range and keyed in on the inside weed edges. The fish where pretty stack up there. At days end, the weight for my brother and myself where 13.77 and 13.53, respectively. The winning weight was 17.7 with the fish coming in the same fashion.

Never seen soo may weeds so early in the season. Hopefully by next week’s end they will all be dead.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We’re reading along with you… lol Figured I’d better post so you didn’t get to feeling like you were talking to yourself.

What kind of weeds are you fishing that you hope to see die soon? Typically weeds get thicker and more widespread during the season until fall… thanks for any info you might be willing to share with a weed walleye nut on this end!

rushcityranger
    Rush City Mn

Chisago Lakes area weedline walleye.

Hey guys! I am reading along as well!

The weeds he maybe referring to is “Curly Leaf Pondweed” This is an exotic weed that flourishes early in the year but dies back in July.

This plant mats up like milfoil. It is also like millfoil in the fact that if you can figure out how to fish it, it can be INCREDIBLE!!!

Cory Frantzick

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Another exotic, eh? Thanks for the heads up on that stuff. I LOVE fishing walleyes in the weeds…. mille lacs and pepin both have a weed relationg population of walleye that nobody seems to fish. And they run big – huge!

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for the weed name Ranger- Curly Leaf Pondweed.

This stuff is so thick right now that you can be in 8-10 feet of water and the weeds will be a couple feet from the surface. It’s tough to fish but once you figure it out it because very simple. When these weeds die, it will all blow and get stack on the shoreline and then you can fish the edges of this surface dead weeds and do awesome, like a big dock. The fall is my favorite time here though. The fish run big and plentiful.

I hear you James about Mille Lacs weeds walleyes there almost nonexistant there.

Cory-When where you out there?

A

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Cory-
    I fish Forest about 5 times a year. I mainly fish lake three but I head into lake two a little too. What are you looking for in that lake, bass, walleye??? I only know a couple spots for walleye but the bass are usually pretty easy to locate.
    Let me know what your looking for.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

If you have access to a camera, drop it down in the pockets of those weeds. You will be surprised at what you see.

We did this on Minnetonka on the milfoil and found both open ranges for fish to cruise, plus FISH!!!! The milfoil creates a “canopy”, so the fish hang out underneath under the right condititions.

We learned how to fish it, but it is painfull slow ( would rather watch paint dry). We would drop pig/jigs down in the “holes” and “vibrate” the jig. I hate bass fishing………..but it works…….Bass??? what the heck is that???………….give me a real animal……….a real animal has teeth!!!! Bass fishing……….I would rather watch grass grow………..

Muskies! Now that is a fish!!! Plus, they eat bass for a living!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.