Chippewa River Update

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Over the last few weeks I’ve been hitting the Chippewa River between Eau Claire and Durand. Action has been fast for both walleyes and smallmouth but the size has really been lacking with almost no legal walleyes coming to the boat.

Current seems and eddies are where I’ve had the best luck. The closer you fish to the seam, the more walleyes you seem to get, fishing in tighter to shore has produced few walleyes and many more smallmouth. 12-18fow seemed to produce the most amounts of walleyes with the better sized eyes coming in the shallower half of that range. The smallmouth and some walleyes are coming real tight to shore and any riprap current break to be found.

2 weeks ago the plastics bite was going real well. Pro Blue and Oystershell ringworms brought a lot of fish to the boat, along with Char-Pepper superdoo’s vertically jigged. In the last week with the water temp rising I’m having much more luck using hair jigs with a minnow; color hasn’t seemed to matter a whole lot however I won’t leave home without the color black…

Couple Pictures
    1 – 18” Smallmouth
    2 – 60” Paddlefish

See ya on the water

Pete

deertracker

Nice report, and nice paddle fish!
    DT

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

Great report, is that 9 mile island in the background, almost looks like a spot I fish by the old Hubbard potato farm. I hit the meridean cut Friday before Easter and found lots of small males and little blue cats but not much else.

bigpike

Way to go Pete! Thanks for the report….

bassless

Nice paddle fish wow

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Fishing was really tough today between the wind and the rain… Somehow I convinced Kristie to tag along!

Anyone else been getting out?

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Nice Paddlefish! There must be a decent population of them there.

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

Fished Eau Claire friday to hot for turkey hunting so wasted a few hours on the chip caught 14 in smallie and eye, a 28 in northern, 30 in muskie, 20 in sucker, and lost a big eye right at the shore it was fun till the sirens went off and the rain came. Then went north to chase turkey’s had them gobbling all around every time the thunder boomed but never came to the call oh well it was cool anyway. Chippman

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.