It never happened to me- until today…..

• bigpike

Out fishing the Chip this morning and I was reeling in aboout a 9″ walleye when a rather large musky swooped in and ate it right before my eyes, well it was game on. I figured the musky had the walleye in its mouth and wasnt letting go of its “easy” meal but after a prolonged fight I finally got to see the ski and I saw my jig but no walleye, I have this devil hooked! Back down she went and I gently played her with my 6 lb. test and walley rod. After another 5 minutes or so I landed her safely in the net. 38″ and 14#, no pictures today as I didn’t have the camera but I do have two witnesses in my dog Ava and my buddy who was fishing nearby. It was quite a day!!!!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Thanks for sharing! I have had muskies follow fish to the boat, but never any takers.

bigpike

This gal was not playing around, she came up and never hesitated. It was very cool, next week around full moon time it might be time to put the walleye rods away and see if I can stick a pig!!!! I know there are mid 50″s down there….

jhalfen

Great story!

Are you fishing in town? I’ve dabbled with the water between Hobbs and the dam, but mostly in spring when the water is higher and I can sneak past that neck-down right between water street and the UW campus.

bigpike

I’ve had my 16′ fishawk all the way up to the city shops past the Eau Claire river Y, in high water. That is crazy, knowing what I know now I wouldn’t do it again. I am fishing the River View boat landing above the downtown dam. You can safely navigate all the way from the dam up to the tavern that is across from Lake Hallie if you are aware of the channel. That is a big chunk of river and greatly under fished!!!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Ahhhh… One reason why we fish. The stories.

Today the musky is 38″, tomorrow its 48″.

Great job… I’ve had that happen a couple times but never landed it.

bigpike

I have to say a little shear luck was involved. How do you have a hooked walleye eaten by a musky boat side get caught in the corner of the mouth with your jig – no walleye, just musky. You are correct though, this is why we fish. Tonight I will be dreaming of this days events….

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Sounds like some good fishing. Should be the time for the true monsters (sturgeon) to start snappin also. don’t forget to throw the camera in the boat. Steve

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I’ve had my 16′ fishawk all the way up to the city shops past the Eau Claire river Y, in high water.

A couple years ago Erik Carlson and I took my boat up to the same spot for the Ray’s Place spring contest. Pure ignorance on my part. We went down stream and got caught under the Clairmont Ave bridge. Totally beached.

I should have been clued in at the landing. 75% of the participants fished from shore. Of the 25% that fished out of boats, I was the lone deep V owner. The jon boats with jet motors were perfect.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Sully

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.