Cooley Lake Gravel Pit – Near Chip

• fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

This gravel pit lake is near the Hwy. 85 reststop on the Chip.Along the CHippewa River trail. Thought it would git looked at in here.

Very deep and small islands in the middle. Nice bass pulled out, with many top water splashes. Anyone ever fish this unknown lake?

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Joe if it’s the same “lake/pit” I’m thinking about, American Materials owns land that you would have to go across. Up until 4-7 years ago they would let you fish them. I contacted them to see what the NO Tresspassing signs were about and I was told that their Insurance Co didn’t want the liability of someone getting hurt so they had to stop letting people in there. I did fish it about 3 years ago, yeah while it was posted but unbenounced to me, and the woman and I caught about 200 crappies in about 1 – 1 1/2 hours smallest being 7-9 inches and threw in about 15 – 20, 14″-15″. thats the only thing we fished for that day, but there are some monster fish, of all species, in those gravel pits!! The only problem is the lack of structure and they seem to be constantly roaming….Here today over here tomorrow. Really hard to find em but looook out if you do! If they are letting people back on there, a post would be great. I remember all the fun I had as a kid there, would like to let the boy experience it once. Thanks hope I answered your question without babbling toooooo much. LOL

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

So you have fished this Cooley Lake?

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

If your talking about the one on the opposite side of the road that the wayside is on, yeah I have. Fished most all of those gravel pits at some point in my life.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Yes sir, thatd be the one. Did you canoe it or shore fish it? Dont those islands in the middle look dandy? Im thinkin of ice fishing it this winter. YOu ever git any pike out of there?

krisko
    Durand, WI

Joe, don’t let anyone catch you fishing that. They are on private land and are posted. If you get caught American Materials does prosecute fully. My uncle and cousin got fines last year. My uncle ice fishing and cousin got caught during the summer fishing it. They also have a couple of dandy spots behind the Welcome Mat. They get really upset at who is tresspassing.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Do you suppose a person could git permision from American Materials to fish it? The sign reads “No Fishing, No Trespassing.” “Private Horse Trail”

krisko
    Durand, WI

Like he said before you could fish it. Then someone tried to sue them for something stupid then they posted it and won’t allow anyone on the ponds. So you can try….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.