Walleye’s on the Chippewa

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Fishing is beginning to pick up on the Chippewa. Btmfinder and another friend went upstream and I went downstream to see if we couldn’t find some active fish and we both found some! The ones that I were catching were all short fish from 14 to just under 15 and btmfinder and Brad caught 4 keepers and quite a few short ones also. So I’ll take a guess and say we caught about 16 fish with 4 being keepers. Btm finder did end up also catching a shovelnose sturgeon and I also caught a carp on a crawler. All my fish came on plastics and all theirs on minnows, only one carp on the crawler. I’ll try again tonight and in the morning and post my results. Steve

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Down at the confluence of the two rivers, Walleyes are biting. I also got a sturgeon the other night on crawler on bottom. My freind got a decent Sheephead too.

leinieman

I’m guessing your referring to the Eau Claire and Chippewa Rivers when you say confluence. Were all your eyes males? Steve

leinieman

The water has come up again and I’ve tried it twice and only managed short fish. Here’s a couple of photo’s of afew eaters we kept last weekend. Steve

leinieman

Here’s the btmfinder with the largest walleye of the day.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Guy in the picture named Gary?

leinieman

Yep that would be Gary. Steve

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Yeah, he he shoots with me at Westgate Sportsman’s club. Nice damn walleye.

bigpike

Where you really fishing at the damn?

krisko
    Durand, WI

I tried to get out before the river flooded here a few days ago. I hit my normal hot spots down here by Durand. I was able to catch a few small saugers and a ton of sheephead. They were hitting everything I could throw at them. If the river goes down here I’ll give you guys a better update on the Chippewa down my way.

I did catch a few on the Mississippi the other day trolling on Lake Pepin. You would catch a few everywhere. Again the river went up and my luck changed. I hate it when it floods.

leinieman

Thanks for the update from a couple of miles south. I’m up stream near the railroad bridge and bike trail. I tried a couple of spots Monday with only a small catfish and a lot of Mosquitto bites for our efforts. The water is way high but I generally catch more fish for some reason when it’s high. You ever fish Dead lake during high water? Also I would like to say welcome to the site. Steve

krisko
    Durand, WI

In fact yes I have tried Dead Lake when the river is up. I haven’t tried much this year though. The mosquitoes are usually terrible down there too. I may try down there on Friday or I may be going to Big Round Lake up by Amery.

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

Fished the river on the sixth below 29/124 dam waters very high just a few small eyes. Drove down today and river is at about normal level. so fishing should pick up soon.
    also fished below Wissota dam caught a dozen eyes one nice 15 3/4 slot eye, 36 in sturgeon had a bunch of big sturgeon on, but with the high water could’nt do anything but grin and hang on till jig hooks straightened out.

Anybody tell me why Lake Wissota is down 2 to 3 feet and the dam spillway is roaring white water rapid.????

krisko
    Durand, WI

I tell ya I’m sick of all the rain and the high river levels. I haven’t been able to do very good on the river at all yet this year. All the normal spots are dead. I’ve even tried to fish in other spots where I always see people and nothing. It is tough too when you are trying to dodge logs floating down the river too.

As far as Lake Wissota I read in another forum that they were drawing it for electricity. I also know they have some dam repair they are going to do to and with all of the rain they want to make sure they don’t have to do something they don’t want. I was out on the lake yesterday and did awesome catching good sized gills and a couple of nice bass. With the tournament this weekend it will be fished hard.

leinieman

I think that there will be a lot of folks on inner tubes on the Chippewa I believe next weekend. I do believe it is the annual float and party day. If anyone is out floating on tubes be sae out there especially if your haveing some drinks. Steve

krisko
    Durand, WI

I made it out on the Chippewa the other day near Durand. It was a good day overall. I got plenty of sun and sunburn to. I managed to catch several small walleyes 12″-16″. It took a lot of casts to catch them though. I also caught a couple on crawlers. The river was up a little bit but I hit a couple of rock bars that produce when the river is up a little. I also caught a couple of nice bass up near Nine Mile Slough. I hope that the rains hold off and river can continue to go down. I think that it will be a good year of fishing. How’s the fishing up river guys?

leinieman

I haven’t been out up this way in a while. The last time I was out the mosquittoes were really biting though. Are you fishing from a boat or shore? Steve

krisko
    Durand, WI

I fish from boat. You are right about the mosquitoes. I ran into them last night. It was really good until you were in the shade or once the sun went down. I started catching the smallies now that the water levels have went down. I haven’t had much luck with the eyes lately. I even tried up at Wissota and the upper Chippewa the other day. Not so good.

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

Well sorry I have not posted for a while been out a couple time last week on wissota the word is slow but alot of green algea.
    Fished the river this morning with a neighbor had a blast
    he caught 54in sturgeon,22in flathead,17 1/2,16,15 1/2eyes
    sure wish we could keep them. 16in smally cprd. I caught 31in muskie, 16 1/2 eye along with a dozen smaller ones, dozen crappies kept six 10 to 12inchers. Then put on a mepps and caught nine or ten smallies. Great morning fishing in spite of the rain!!!!!!!!!????Too bad wwe had to leave at 11am. Ron

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.