Chevy Tahoe / GMC Yukon 5.3 and 6.2 reliability.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Appreciate all the replies.

After viewing a lot of online forums and this thread, essentially my conclusions are that no, GM hasn’t done anything to really address the issues of AFM engines blowing up. Sounds like they have been chipping around the edges with software code, maintenance recommendations, and whatnot, but basically the AFM engines are random access grenades.

I’m just not a fan of having to spend the crazy money GM wants for these vehicles brand new and then having to immediately add an AFM delete module in order to save the engine that GM should have fixed a long time ago.

I just can’t do it. I can’t fork over the crazy money GM wants for these vehicles considering the terrible quality problems that these engines can produce. I get that it seems pretty random with some owners reporting good luck all the way to 100k, but I’m just not that lucky.

Grouse

CaptainMusky

In 2019 the engines changed from AFM to DFM and its far more reliable. You can install a range module into the OBD port and it disables the functionality and it will not void warranty.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

In 2019 the engines changed from AFM to DFM and its far more reliable. You can install a range module into the OBD port and it disables the functionality and it will not void warranty.

My dad had more then a handful of issues with his 22 6.2 before 40k.

CaptainMusky

There are some bad ones and they usually crop up right away.

RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

Guess I am fortunate that my 19 6.2 in my AT4 does not have AFM. Absolutely love this truck.

Thanks
    RVRDUX

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

There are some bad ones and they usually crop up right away.

It was a beautiful truck. But his new duramax at4 is even prettier

CaptainMusky

The baby duramax? That is a fantastic little motor. If you can find one in a yukon or suburban that would be a sweet combo. Unreal mileage. Avg 26 and get well into the 30s.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The baby duramax? That is a fantastic little motor. If you can find one in a yukon or suburban that would be a sweet combo. Unreal mileage. Avg 26 and get well into the 30s.

Just not enough feedback out there on this engine that I’d personally want to put my money into it. Very few data points, but reading on GM forums, there are some concerning and very expensive issues that are mentioned in multiple places, but so few of these are out there on the road that I can’t say it’s a trend. Just wouldn’t want to take the chance because I’m not a guy who trades every 3-4 years.

This is what makes it difficult to figure out if GM has actually improved these engines or not. I’d say half the owners out there of the current gen report disabling the AFM/DFM. That’s not exactly a vote of confidence in GM’s engineering and quality. I just HATE the idea of buying something brand new at this price point and then having to turn around and fix a known defect on Day 1 to keep the engine from blowing up.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lol no never a baby duramax, diesel owner long enough we are both smart enough not to go that route. 6.6

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Ah so he has a heavy duty then.

Yes sir. There is 0 need for a diesel unless it’s going to be used for diesel things. A diesel used for fuel milage is traded off for loss in maintenance cost down the road.

CaptainMusky

Yes sir. There is 0 need for a diesel unless it’s going to be used for diesel things. A diesel used for fuel milage is traded off for loss in maintenance cost down the road.

I suppose, but my buddy absolutely loves his 1/2 Silverado with the diesel.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve had a 6.0 and two 6.2’s. The first 6.2 did not have AFM but my current one does. The engines have all performed well for me and as I mentioned 420hp coupled with the 10-speed trans makes for an enjoyable driving experience. I would entertain a Dodge I suppose after recently driving my buddys Hemi Durango. It was so smooth and I hear good things.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I suppose, but my buddy absolutely loves his 1/2 Silverado with the diesel.

I’m sure. He spent lots of money on it, I would hope he likes it. He also isn’t ” down the road” for maintenance yet I would imagine. I have had a diesel in the drive way the last 15 years. There is a reason I bought a gasser as my new vehicle. Now if I was pulling a heavy trailer all day every day I would have a diesel no doubt. If I was driving around town pulling a light boat, then no way unless I was trying to build a big power motor

Deuces

Just an update to my 5.3l, tranny started to crap out close to the rainy last night, limping it back home to the cities today, I hope.

flame flame flame

CaptainMusky

I’m sure. He spent lots of money on it, I would hope he likes it. He also isn’t ” down the road” for maintenance yet I would imagine. I have had a diesel in the drive way the last 15 years. There is a reason I bought a gasser as my new vehicle. Now if I was pulling a heavy trailer all day every day I would have a diesel no doubt. If I was driving around town pulling a light boat, then no way unless I was trying to build a big power motor

No, not sure how many miles he has on it but he has surely felt the pain of oil changes because I believe they are over $100. I pay 80 so not much different. He will have to deal with that belt that has to be replaced at 100k if it keeps it that long. He says it doesnt use much DEF unless he is towing.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Deuces, sorry to hear about your truck’s tranny. What year is it and how many miles? Asking for a friend. whistling

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just an update to my 5.3l, tranny started to crap out close to the rainy last night, limping it back home to the cities today, I hope.

Sorry to hear that buddy. Those chevys will get ya every time.

Johnny

Seems to me like we are beyond the point where any of the engines in any of the makes are bad. It doesn’t even cross my mind anymore.

you don’t hear people complaining about the chevy engines because the trannys dont last long enough for engine longevity to be an issue before people get rid of the truck

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I have a 17 Silverado 5.3 and my torque converter went out coming back from Canada last summer in Duluth. 47k miles on it and Chevy wouldn’t cover any of it, cost $6300 for a new GM one with a 3 year warranty.

GB
    Baudette, MN

I think I’m in the same boat with torque converter problems, 2016 5.3 Silverado with 120k. Just noticed problems beginning of this week. Slight surge in RPM, clunky shifts and not engaging in gear right away. Going to try to limp it back to my home shop. Hoping to not end up on the back of a tow truck. Is this that common of a problem on this generation of Chev?

CaptainMusky

Unfortunately yes it is a very common problem with the 6spds especially. My wifes transmission locked up and I replaced it with one that has a billet torgue converter which is supposed to be bulletproof. The mileage you are at is typically when the problems really crop up.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If I was to buy a GM vehicle today, it’d be a 1997 Silverado Z71.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

100 percent. I had one for 10 years. Bought it at 130k and sold it with 370k on it. Was a fantastic truck, ended up just rotting away sadly.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I think I’m in the same boat with torque converter problems, 2016 5.3 Silverado with 120k. Just noticed problems beginning of this week. Slight surge in RPM, clunky shifts and not engaging in gear right away. Going to try to limp it back to my home shop. Hoping to not end up on the back of a tow truck. Is this that common of a problem on this generation of Chev?

Oh tahoe did the same thing. Ended up getting a full warranty replacement and then went home and built it. Best thing we ever did was sell that. And that was well under 100k and never pulled a trailer.

GB
    Baudette, MN

Did it grenade and was just undrivable? Or were you able to drive it into a shop. I don’t have a problem limping it to a shop, I just don’t wanna be stuck on the side of the road.

CaptainMusky

Did it grenade and was just undrivable? Or were you able to drive it into a shop. I don’t have a problem limping it to a shop, I just don’t wanna be stuck on the side of the road.

It happened on the way home from school. All lights flashed and it wouldnt shift and was stuck in like 3rd gear. She made it home, parked it for the night. The next morning I drove to the shop which was a block away and of course it shifted fine on the test drive with the mechanic but VERY hard! THey hooked up a scan tool and the code read “catastrophic internal damage” or something to that affect.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

100 percent

Have big talking buddies who say this exact same thing all the time but yet to see anyone put their money where their mouth is sleeping

Been a lot of changes to trucks in the last 20 years

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lol OK, I don’t own gm any more so I guess my money went right where my mouth is. Went with my word and won’t buy another. toast

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.