Chequamegon bay lake trout.

• Kirk nelson

New to The Forum here, so hey there. I have next week off which is February 6th through the 12th and I’m looking to go over to Chequamegon Bay and Chase and lake trout. I couldn’t find a way to search form pages on my phone, so I’m just going to create a new post.
    Is anybody fishing over that way and would like to show me the ropes or recommended a guide? I’m in the Twin Cities fyi.
    Thanks
    Kirk

Nice Fella

Josh Teigen guides up there.
    Also, recent YouTube vids from Outdoor Bound TV, and Tom Boley worth checking out.

B-man

Yep I’d give Josh or Tommy Hicks a call. For lake trout you will be out of the bay and on the big lake.

I’m out in the islands right now, been here since Monday (heading home shortly). We haven’t been too brave and have been fishing the Basswood/Bayfield area. Overall slow fishing for us, but have caught a mixed bag of browns, splake, perch, coho, whities and cisco.

There’s not much snow, so a wheeler or sled would both work. The pack ice gets really rough into the islands.

The wind has been ripping the last couple days…. Yesterday was crazy, but we fished all day. Today is blowing but not quite as shitty.

I lost my cover for my Otter, thinking it made it to Canada in just an hour or two lol

We saw Tommy Hicks new rigs on Monday. Cools to see $250,000 worth of Sherpa Trucks and gear on the ice. A ride in one of those would be worth the price of admission mrgreen

Here’s a video I took yesterday

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20220201_215226739.PORTRAIT-scaled.jpg

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Josh Tiegen, Aron Kastern and Tommy Hicks will all put you on Lakers. They are all very aware of safety factors on the big lake and are out there most everyday catching fish.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Josh Tiegen, Aron Kastern and Tommy Hicks will all put you on Lakers. They are all very aware of safety factors on the big lake and are out there most everyday catching fish. Also Nate Baron…..

Kirk nelson

Whooo boy, now that’s some wind.

CC

Had a trip there not to long ago, The islands would be prefer for lakers. We did manage to find a hotspot along the shoreline that was producing very active lakers while setting the tip ups. If it’s your first time, I would recommend getting a guide to be safe and get you on the fish.

Wisconsincanman
    Tomahawk, Wi

I would also check out lake link there’s a current report on fishing there

richsn
    SE/NW WI

Not to scare or deter anyone, but either go with someone knowledgeable that’s out there frequently (aka everyday) or don’t go far.

The inner Islands are safer but as you venture out further the ice conditions can change literally by the minute.

It can be really nice in the Islands, but wind/waves out on the big lake bore in under the ice, create pressure and the ice just starts to breakup.

(And the ice in the outer Islands is REAL rough in most parts so far this year)

Have fun, but be REALLY safe.

critter 1

Speaking of safety I was fishing off the south east corner of Basswood about 8 years ago with the snowmobile and there was maybe 6-8″ of ice at the most. I heard a roar of a vehicle coming from the south and a loud crash. flipped up my shack and am old beater yellow and white chev pick up jumped an ice heave and went north towards Hermit Island about 150 feet from me when they went past. I’ll never forget there were two guys in the truck and the orange bomber hat with the ear flaps down on the driver. craziest thing I ever saw in all my years ice fishing. Lost sight of them as they went towards Hermit. Talked to the bartender I knew at Maggies that evening. Alot of people saw them and didnt know what happened to them . Sorry to hijack the thread bought it brought back a crazy memory.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Many years ago we were fishing (bobbing) for Lake trout out of Cornucopia. Had a solid 20 inches or more of ice. We were about 3/4 way out to Eagle Island. Suddenly we saw a pretty big group of fishermen heading toward us and they stopped and said we may want to fish close to shore as the ice was going up and down pretty good on them. We moved about halfway in towards Blueberry road and about 1/2 hr later I was looking at the ice and said to my buddy….I think the ice is going up and down here….now…so we packed up and went into his cabin on Blueberry road….35 minutes later this wasn’t a lick of ice that could be seen. All open water. It can happen quickly.

tim hurley

You are saying 20″ disappeared in a half hour?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Yes, pretty common up there. Waves come in a break it up and washes the ice away. I check the satellite image daily and see it happen on an almost daily basis.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Tim, once it gets moving and usually the seiche (current) is strong at that time, it moves the ice quickly. Ice thickness just doesn’t matter.

richsn
    SE/NW WI

YES, that’s what I’m saying.

PLUS, there’s usually no cell service out there so calling for help on a cell phone doesn’t work.

Like I said, have fun, but be ULTRA careful, that ice pack has a different dynamic property.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

A guy i met said him and a buddy were fishing out of Saxon Harbor ,did good , came back the next day and all the ice was gone !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.