Checking in…..

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Tomorrow at 7 AM I check into Mayo’s Cardiac Rhythm Unit in St. Marys Hospital to start a new to me afib medication that requires constant, 24/7, monitoring during the three to four day loading period. I guess its a pretty relaxed unit where I can do pretty much whatever I want that’s allowed in there. Hopefully time passes fast.

My afib episodes have intensified lately so I decided I needed to see what might be options. I’m at stage two afib which they deal with using medicine, but there are only 5 medicines that actually are known to work in controlling this stuff and the one I will be receiving, Tikosyn, is best suited for me given the copd I also have. Apparently if the dose is off some the result can be dangerously low blood pressure, hence the need for constant monitoring. Stage three involves the knife so I’m definitely wanting this med to offer some relief, so I have to try.

In dealing with this of late I’ve learned a couple interesting facts about afib, one being that afib is one of the country’s biggest epidemics right now and thus far they, the medical community, haven’t a clue as to why. Also, afib in every stage is being found in increasingly younger people for no real reason. Debilitating stuff and not much fun to live with.

sji

I hope all goes well for you Tom. Life seems to have a way of throwing the curve ball at us at the worst times. Good luck and please keep us posted.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Good luck Tom. I hope this medication is the answer to your afib problem. Keep us posted on your condition.

munchy
    NULL

Sounds like a good time to pour and paint some jigheads! laugh

Good luck sir!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Good luck sir!! Leave the nurses alone too!!

Iowaboy1

Tom,hope they find something that works for you !!
    you are in our prayers daily,keep the faith, we need you here.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Tom. heading down there on Sunday to see my cardiologist. I am currently in Atrial flutter and don’t like it….Good luck….I plan to be down there for 2 to 3 days or more.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Good luck to you Tom. I am going thru cancer crap right now, so I get the feeling. I wish you the best of luck with your new meds. Hope it makes life enjoyable again for you!!

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Hope everything goes well my friend. I am sure the COPD complicates things but you will be good hands. Please keep us posted.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Thanks everyone, your support is much appreciated and means lots to me. I leave in a few minutes.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Hope all goes well Tom. Like you I’m sure, I know a fair amount of people that work at Mayo and someone who might actually be somewhat involved in that area. I know Mayo catches a lot of hell sometimes but they really are top-notch.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Wishing you a speedy recovery Tom !!!
    I’m usually around there a few days a week so if you need anything, let me know. It wouldn’t be out of my way a bit.
    You are in good hands my friend!

Sharon
    SE Metro

Sorry to hear you’re going through this, Tom. I hope the medication works well and that your days in the hospital move along quickly. We’re all thinking of you!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Check in here when you can Crappie Tom!
    Lots of fisherpeople at the Mayo, you’ll be in good hands!

Talk to you soon!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Hope it all works well for you Tom, and you can get out of there and back on the water soon!

S.R.

zooks

Best of luck Tom, godspeed.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

Good Luck to you Tom. Hope this works for you and gives you the help needed.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Best wishes for you and your doctors. I have been dealing with afib for several years now. I’ve had a combination of meds and an “ablation” surgery procedure done. About a year ago I had a change of heart doctors and a resulting change in the medications I am taking. Have not heard mentioned, the one you are starting. Hope everything goes as planned.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Will be wishing all the best Tom

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Prayers for you Tom. We have started using Tikosyn here at the U of M Hospital and it seems to be helping many of our pts with multiple episodes of afib. I believe that the increased afib in our populations is due to a couple things. People taking worse and worse care of themselves (not directing that at you by any means) and the high amount of medications people are on these days, many which can directly cause afib.

Wishing you the best.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Good luck Tom.We will all be waiting to hear the good news that it’s working.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Mr. Tom my friend, I’m thinking of you.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

So far, so good. I seem to be tolerating it ok. I guess that is the key to this med: whether a persons body stays within the parameters of safe tolerance levels. I haven’t noticed any difference but then I have not been in afib either. Today and hopefully tomorrow going home.

catmando
    wis

Hope everything turns out, Good Luck!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I may be cut loose tomorrow if nothing jumps up to mess with how this has progressed. Sure tired of needles and ekg’s.

Buffalo Fishhead

Stay positive and don’t give up!

My hunting and fishing friend was diagnosed with cancer and was told to go home and die. He would not accept that, got to looking around and found a doctor and hospital in Arkansas that specialized in treating his type of cancer. He went and took the treatments.

That was 26 years ago. We get together twice a year, once for an Alaskan fishing trip and once for an antelope hunt in Wyoming.

Hang in there!!

Buffalo Fishhead

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Hi Tom I’m glad to hear everything is going well. I hope it continues..

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I may be cut loose tomorrow if nothing jumps up to mess with how this has progressed. Sure tired of needles and ekg’s.

good luck on the get out thing Tom!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.