Charge snowmobile battery with Vexilar style charger?

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

So I forgot to turn my graph off on my sled yesterday and it ran down my battery. I did not bring a full sized charger on this trip. I do have a vexel r style lead sell battery charger. Will that charge my snowmobile battery if I leave it on overnight?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

cant you pull start the snowmobile???????

CaptainMusky

It will likely not get it back to full charge overnight because those style chargers generally only charge in mA not Amps. If the battery is totally dead it is likely it will not charge it at all.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

So I forgot to turn my graph off on my sled yesterday and it ran down my battery. I did not bring a full sized charger on this trip. I do have a vexel r style lead sell battery charger. Will that charge my snowmobile battery if I leave it on overnight?

Probably. It will work as long as the Vexilar charger doesn’t have that annoying feature that cuts off the charging if it detects the battery is below a certain voltage because it interprets that as the battery being damaged and therefore it cuts off the charge.

And if I’m thinking of the type of charger you actually have, it will be slow. Most of those small little wall-adapter plug chargers put out less than 1 amp of actual charging power, which is actually less by the time it gets to the battery, so even a dead snowmobile battery will take a long time to charge fully and of course a car battery would take days.

Once you get the machine running, better go for a decent ride before you shut it off and even then I wouldn’t be running anything else off the battery until you can be sure it’s fully charged.

OG Net_Man

Most snowmobiles, ATVs and SxS do a bare minimum job of charging a battery while running.

I am not a expert on snowmobiles – what is the amp hours of the battery? I am guessing 18 AH or less.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Try it.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Jump it with a car and go for a rip.

B-man

If no pull start, why not just jump start it off another vehicle or sled??? wave

B-man

Jinx Rodwork lol

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I do have a pull cord. So I’m not dead in the water…

I do run my Lowrance on it. So I like to check the map and strategies new spots when the sled isn’t running. So overall I’m in good shape. Very first world problems.

I’ll try it on the trickle charger tonight.

mojogunter

If it is completely dead some snowmobiles won’t start if there isn’t enough power to run the fuel pump without pulling and pulling to get fuel to the injectors. Since you ran it yesterday chances are it should start rather quickly, but with this cold weather it could be a challenge. My big charger won’t charge my snowmobile charger, so I bought a smaller one that works with that agm battery.

I do have a pull cord. So I’m not dead in the water…

I do run my Lowrance on it. So I like to check the map and strategies new spots when the sled isn’t running. So overall I’m in good shape. Very first world problems.

I’ll try it on the trickle charger tonight.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.