Changing prop brands, do need a new hub too?

• BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I currently have a Solas prop on my 50 HP Merc and it should be replaced. I’m considering a Merc or Quicksilver prop. Does this mean I need to order a new hub assembly? If so, how do I determine which one I need?

mojo

Michigan Wheel props, like the Solas, use a hub system that allows one propeller to fit on different brands of motor by changing out the hub. Mercury props typically have a fixed hub, so it only fits a specific group of motors (proper shaft splines and hub size) and there is no hub to change.
    I believe that if you put a Merc prop on a Merc motor, you should not need a hub – it is possible that they have a system with interchangeable hubs that I am not aware of though.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Depending on the year and 2S or 4S, Merc 50 props are available with both pressed-in rubber hubs, or interchangeable hub kits. If you can post pics of your current prop, or better yet a part number if you can find one, we can help further.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. Solas-hub-kit.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I very much doubt that a hub kit for a Solas prop will fit into a Mercury prop which uses a hub kit. (as mentioned not all Merc props will use a kit) Yes both kits can be ordered to fit the same motor, but I don’t think they will inter change with different prop brands.

My Merc prop uses a hub kit ;

Brand new, genuine Mecury Marine propeller. This is a factory original equipment prop, not aftermarket.
    SKU# 48-8M8026590
    13″ diameter x 17″ pitch
    4 blade
    aluminum
    RH rotation
    includes Flo-Torque II hub kit # 835257K1 (thrust washer, splined hub, hub insert, prop nut and keeper)
    Fits:
    40-60 HP BF, 75-125 HP

BoatsHateMe

Here is the tag from the motor. It’s a 2006 50ELPTO 2 Stroke.
    [/url]

This was the original Solasprop I got with the boat (bought used). I brought the boat in for service and asked to have the prop repaired. It wasn’t until much later after I got it back that I realized I did not get the same prop back.
    [/url]upload image share[/url]

Here is the one I got back. Sent it out with an 11.1×14 and got it back with an 11.6×11. Had I known they were going to switch I would’ve paid attention to the difference in performance but honestly it wasn’t that great that I noticed anything. It’s good out of the hole now but I could use another couple of miles per hour.

[/url]

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

With Mercury, you have 2 options. You can buy propellers that use an interchangeable hub kit, or you can buy a prop with a pressed-in rubber hub kit. You’ll pay a little more the first time with the interchangeable version, but additional props can be bought for less without the hub later on, since the hub kit can be moved to a different prop.

https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse.com/category/5360/13-pitch

Your OB has the “standard” gearcase (not bigfoot or command thrust) so you’ll be looking at props in the 10″ to 11″ diameter range, in whatever pitch you are looking for.

HRG

BoatsHateMe

Thanks very much HRG. Those were the details and recommendations I was looking for. I ordered up the 10 1/2×13.

milemark_714

Do you have a tach on the boat?You will want to prop it to get close to the 5500 rpms.You don’t want that engine to lug,nor is it good to hit the rev limiter too much.

BoatsHateMe

There is no tach but based on all of the legwork I’ve done that size should be right in there for what I need to run at 5500 RPM.

BoatsHateMe

Got my Merc prop today and installed it. It’s obvious why there is a price difference between that prop and the Solas. Obviously better engineering with the visible cupping as well as the thickness of the blades. I’m excited to try it out on Tonka tomorrow.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.