Changes to Process for Issuing Fishing, Hunting Licenses in MN

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Point is there is nothing on-line that can’t be hacked.

No argument there. And the government is the last I trust with online data. I still file my taxes with pen and paper. Peace on that! waytogo Just pointing out there was no “data breach” here. The info was sold for profit. Legally! And reported like some crime has occurred!

-J.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I wonder why only 12% of them are sold online, it’s not hard at all. I’d like to see an age breakdown of online sales vs agent sales

Seems out of proportion to me too, but I dunno. I have done both. MN online fishing/hunting license is just as easy peasy as WI. 5 minutes or so and you can print it or download.
    MNLARS is a debacle I’m glad I’m not needing anything now.

I do have a tradition of walking in to a favorite bait shop every year to purchase my fishing (Sportsmans) license every year and make sure to make other purchases to support their business. Much more than a candy bar and a coke.

Much as there is no such thing as safe ice, there really is no 100% secure internet site. I don’t care who’s it is. The crooks are smarter then the developers, always have been, always will be.

Won’t argue that statement Dutchboy, but my question would be have you purchased anything online…ever? And/or would you again?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thats because for some reason people think that news on TV and in the papers is un-biased. Fact is they are all “for profit” businesses. People need to sort and sift through what they see, read, hear. After that there is that little thing called “common sense ” that needs to be factored.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Andy I might have bought a book or something but it was well over a year ago. I’m not that tech savvy and way to skeptical of humanity.So yes in the past I probably have but I make a huge effort not to.

Only person I trust is the one I see in the mirror and I’m not 100% sure about him all the time.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Wisconsin has it figured out. I just bought fishing licenses for my wife and I when I saw this post. Took 5 min from idea to print out. Done. Then I took the prints to Office Max and got them laminated. More Done.

Suzuki I reduce mine and laminate it so they it fits my wallet better. My brother does the redneck lamination. Clear Packaging tape.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Andy I might have bought a book or something but it was well over a year ago. I’m not that tech savvy and way to skeptical of humanity.So yes in the past I probably have but I make a huge effort not to.

Only person I trust is the one I see in the mirror and I’m not 100% sure about him all the time.

Ha…I was just testing you. wink

And as my dad always reinforced…”trust no other than yourself”, which I do. Until I have a couple “strong” beers and then I cannot trust myself anymore. sad

As I have posted on other threads here my preference to patronize the “brick and mortar” local businesses, there are those times when I do break my “rules”.

My big online purchase recently was the Striker Ice coat I decided I needed to have in January. All the retail stores locally were all sold out…so had to order online. It is a beautiful coat. smile

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I buy it online. That way I can print off a few copies. Put one in the boat, truck and wallet. No worries about having one when I need it. Also have the electronic copy on my phone.

For those of you paranoid about online info I agree 100%. At the same time think about all of the info about you that is already out there. Between the big credit rating companies, the state government and the federal government your info is sitting on a server somewhere. To think these systems are not hacked regularly is having your head in the clouds (so to speak). Hackers are very sophisticated and the monitoring software on these systems is antiquated at best. Just look at the latest MNIT fiascoes and tell me you feel good about them having your info. They can’t handle multi-million dollar upgrades let alone monitor system breaches from folks who are much more talented programmers than themselves.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Anyway thats not the point. Point is there is nothing on-line that can’t be hacked.

You have to keep in mind that your fishing and hunting license information is kept online already. As soon as you buy a license, all your information is stored in a computer system and therefore, can already be hacked. The fact that you bought it over the counter instead of online is meaningless.

This is all much ado about very little. The DNR obviously wants to get rid of buying, distributing, and maintaining specialized hardware and consumables at each license agent sight. Totally understandable, all that hardware costs money and requires time/money to maintain and replace.

The license agents rightly point out they get paid very little and that hasn’t gone up for years. Simple solution: Tie issuance fee to an increased price + automatic inflation adjustment each year.

The way things are going at MNIT, that agency will be terminated before the DNR gets to the replacement point.

Grouse

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

My brother does the redneck lamination

Yes! Another tape man! peace

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

To think these systems are not hacked regularly is having your head in the clouds (so to speak). Hackers are very sophisticated and the monitoring software on these systems is antiquated at best.

Wow, now this observation hits home for me…right now. The company I work for (Incentive programs and gift cards) is currently shut down. For the second time in less than 2 years. Hacked, malware, fraud, theft. It happened again even after the last episode that had us shut down for close to 2 months. After a complete rebuilding and security reinforcement, that was not good enough…we’ve been crippled again.

Last 10 days at work have been twiddling thumbs, while the “Senior Leadership Team” spends their day in crisis meetings…and long bathroom breaks. ???

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    Anyway thats not the point. Point is there is nothing on-line that can’t be hacked.

You have to keep in mind that your fishing and hunting license information is kept online already. As soon as you buy a license, all your information is stored in a computer system and therefore, can already be hacked. The fact that you bought it over the counter instead of online is meaningless.

The way things are going at MNIT, that agency will be terminated before the DNR gets to the replacement point.

Grouse

Same with all of your banking, credit card, basically any of your info is online already. Again regardless of what you do or don’t do online. As for MNIT we can only hope…

Kyhl
    Savage

Wow, now this observation hits home for me…right now. The company I work for (Incentive programs and gift cards) is currently shut down. For the second time in less than 2 years. Hacked, malware, fraud, theft. It happened again even after the last episode that had us shut down for close to 2 months. After a complete rebuilding and security reinforcement, that was not good enough…we’ve been crippled again.

Last 10 days at work have been twiddling thumbs, while the “Senior Leadership Team” spends their day in crisis meetings…and long bathroom breaks. ???

Got any openings? coffee

404 ERROR
    MN

My brother does the redneck lamination. Clear Packaging tape.

Put me in the Redneck category. Works like a charm! waytogo

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Last year I bought a lifetime license. Normally I buy the Favorite Husband and Favorite Wife combo.

When Brittany (P4’s new Co) came up to check our licenses, as in the past the FW didn’t have hers with…so like in years past, I just handed the CO my combo license. doah I was quickly reminded that it was a lifetime license…for ME only.

Embarrassed because I should have known this, I reached into the glove box and pulled out my extra copy of the FW’s license.
    BTW I have a copy of the Favorite Daughters in there too…I’ve learned from past experiences.

And that brings me to the conservation license… Since I bought a lifetime license and the FW doesn’t keep ANY fish, it made sense to get her the Conservation license which took $8.00 off of my contribution to the DNR.

It’s my way of protesting the conservation license that I feel shouldn’t of been created in the first place.
    /soapbox and taking this thread on a bunny trail.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I guess I’m a 12%er, I also don’t print off a copy, just save it on my phone, and pretty much always have my DL with me as well which is acceptable.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I’m not sure if a DL is acceptable. They say in the regulations that you need to carry your license. The also talk about mobile devices and mention that you need to have that mobile device on you at all times when fishing. There is no mention of a DL.

I don’t think they like the DL idea as it ties them up longer as they would have to run you through dispatch or use their laptop in their vehicle if it’s close. All of this is much more time consuming than a 2 second glance at a fishing license or mobile device. Maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I’m not sure if a DL is acceptable. They say in the regulations that you need to carry your license. The also talk about mobile devices and mention that you need to have that mobile device on you at all times when fishing. There is no mention of a DL.

I don’t think they like the DL idea as it ties them up longer as they would have to run you through dispatch or use their laptop in their vehicle if it’s close. All of this is much more time consuming than a 2 second glance at a fishing license or mobile device. Maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t think they advertise it as an option, but the last CO I ran into on the river specifically said the DL would be enough if I couldn’t find the PDF on my phone. Your mileage may vary.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I felt something was in the air so I went online last month to get my license. I usually get my license at the local gas station.
    Aside from the bait shops whats going to happen to these gas stations?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They will install the equipment needed or they won’t. Only two choices. But like it was mentioned, it will take forever to get the actual process figured out. It will have more glitches then the DL system.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I guess I’m a 12%er, I also don’t print off a copy, just save it on my phone, and pretty much always have my DL with me as well which is acceptable.

I’m also one of the 12%ers but go the opposite route. Print several copies: Throw a copy in the wallet, with the ice fishing gear, fishing vest, tackle box, etc. Takes up no space and doesn’t require a charger.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Same with all of your banking, credit card, basically any of your info is online already. Again regardless of what you do or don’t do online. As for MNIT we can only hope…
    [/quote]

Speaking of credit cards THE CHIP was supposed to cure most of the credit card fraud. The study I saw after 1 year of cards with chips the credit card fraud was ONLY up 22%. Wow those card chips really make a difference. doah

ProStaffSteve

Just have people make “MN DNR accounts” that way we can pay the regular dues and the DNR can have a database that updates an app on their cell phones three times a day. Be done with the hassle of running to fleet farm 3-4 times a year. The entire system is sham. Just a way to drum up business for bait shop owners and big retail chains like, previously, Gander, currently, Scheels, Fleet, anywhere with licenses. What a pissing contest. They don’t give a damn about convenience or a free market.

Attachments:
    1. Haul.jpg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Just have people make “MN DNR accounts” that way we can pay the regular dues and the DNR can have a database that updates an app on their cell phones three times a day. Be done with the hassle of running to fleet farm 3-4 times a year. The entire system is sham. Just a way to drum up business for bait shop owners and big retail chains like, previously, Gander, currently, Scheels, Fleet, anywhere with licenses. What a pissing contest. They don’t give a damn about convenience or a free market.

Well that sure falls on the opposite end of “humble opinion”… eek

Sure wouldn’t want to spend a day in the boat with you. So much negativity, you probably drain all the batteries in your boat by just your presence.

Also wondering about the photo of some random fishes and how that factors into your criticism? roll

TripleA
    Blaine

Hopefully it works as well as the DMV changeover. 6 months to get your truck tabs is a good thing right?…….

It is easy to “save money” if you force others to pay the difference and thats something the State is good at.

TripleA
    Blaine

If you have ever seen inflated state contracts you could guess how many millions it would cost to implement live cell phone updates multiple times a day to all DNR…. good in theory but lacking in foresite.

Easiest way is to simply BUY a 3 year fishing on the DNR website. Print it 10x though and save to your phone because once you exit if you even want to see a copy to print again you have to pay $2….. figure that one out.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

“if you even want to see a copy to print again you have to pay $2….. figure that one out”

Is that for real?

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.