Chain saw bar sprocket locking up

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have a new Echo CS-4910 with 18 inch bar. I used it once last year and the front sprocket locked up after little use. I was able to free it and used it a little more with no problem. Today barely two small logs in it locked up solid. I’m getting chain oil. I played with that last year and it works. Same today. Chain is wet and I don’t see an oiling issue. I am cutting wet pine but that shouldn’t be a problem, especially after such little use. Should I replace the bar with same or are there better aftermarket brands? It’s less than a year old so maybe Mills will replace the bar? Did I just get a defective bar? Thoughts?

chubby
    Bloomington

You need to grease those thru the little hole in the bar

Iowaboy1

Tree sap especially pine or fir type trees is like superglue on nose sprockets.
    When cutting fresh pines I carry kerosene or diesel fuel with me,apply it with a spritzer bottle as needed.
    It helps if you grease the nose sprocket liberally and I mean to the point of the chain carrying the grease around the bar.
    All of this said,remove the chain and spin the sprocket,it could be a defective bar but I dont recall ever seeing one in 45 years of owning saws,anything is possible I reckon.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Tree sap especially pine or fir type trees is like superglue on nose sprockets.
    When cutting fresh pines I carry kerosene or diesel fuel with me,apply it with a spritzer bottle as needed.
    It helps if you grease the nose sprocket liberally and I mean to the point of the chain carrying the grease around the bar.
    All of this said,remove the chain and spin the sprocket,it could be a defective bar but I dont recall ever seeing one in 45 years of owning saws,anything is possible I reckon.

Totally agree. Fresh pine can cause the sprocket to seize up.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

My friend had a Milwaukee M18 saw sprocket freeze up on him. I’ll have to ask if he was cutting pine. I think he was. Worked fine after he greased it. I bought the same saw and called Milwaukee and he said you don’t need to grease the sprocket, the bar oil should lubricate it. I cut down 20 trees this last fall and winter (diseased green ash, no pine) from 8″ to 18″ with some 70 feet tall and never had an issue with sprocket. I’m quite impressed by the saw. I’ll have to remember to grease the sprocket if I ever cut pine.
    My best fell. It was wide open to the right of the fence but this is the way the tree wanted to go without ropes.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5741.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m going to clean it up but also buy a spare and back off on the fresh pine. Although I have one that’s must come down soon.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Soak your bar in zep45. Keep a can with you and soak the tip as needed. I would do this over any form of grease. And I would keep on cutting every tree you need to.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I keep a can of Schaefer Penetro 90 with me when running saws. Spray it on your bar and on your sprocket if cutting anything that’s really rich with sap. It makes a noticeable difference.

Switch your bar oil to Schaefers too as it’s a superior product to anything out there and seems to coat evenly and consistently no matter the conditions

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I soaked the end of the bar in mineral spirits and it still does not move smoothly. I think I got a defective bar or damaged it right out of the gate when new. Ill know once my replacement arrives.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

This may be a longshot for you to check, but I can tell you that my saw binds up when there are bad nicks in even just a couple of the cutting teeth or drive links. Happened to me a couple times after chain came of sprocket and got nicked. I used a file to remove the nicks and worked fine afterwards.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.