Central and Northern WI Fishing Report

• Adam Rasmussen
    Mosinee, WI

http://www.rasmussenoutdoors.com/fishing-report.html

If the past couple of weeks have been a sign of what our ice fishing season is going to be like, I am really excited. We have been spending most of our time on the Flowages across Central and Northern Wisconsin. Ice conditions have been great since the warm temperatures and rain around Christmas knocked down the snow, and we continue making ice. We are seeing 8-12 inches in most places as of right now, but still be cautious as there are still some areas with less than 8.

The Walleye bite over the past couple of weeks has been outstanding for numbers, eaters and a few bigger fish in the mix. The jigging bite has been producing most of the fish, next to tip ups and dead sticking. Walleyes have been aggressively chomping on the new Rapala Slab Rab #5’s, and Ultra Light Rippin Raps. Most of these flowages have fairly stained water, so the aggressive actions of these baits really help to call Walleye’s in. Concentrate on mid depth ranges during daylight hours (10 – 20 feet). Any deeper flats that meet the edges of old river channels have been producing the best as of late. If fishing in the evening or after dark is your deal, then move up to shallower flats (5 to 10 feet). Try to concentrate on the ones close to deep water, as the fish will show themselves earlier in the evening. Fishing tip ups at this time of day tends to be best.

If Walleyes are not your deal, the Bluegill and Crappie bite has been very good as well. Here again, I have been spending most of my time on the Flowages. This bite has been taking place deeper than normal at this time of year. Most of these fish have been concentrated on the outside bends of the river channels (15 to 25 feet). I prefer to fish the smallest sizes of VMC Flash Champs, tipped with spikes. Using spoons in deep water allow you to get down to the fish faster, as well as providing plenty of action and noise so they can find your presentation.

For more info visit http://www.rasmussenoutdoors.com

-Capt Adam Rasmussen

Attachments:
    1. 16003056_1362617793790776_5825699902242443523_n.jpg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.