Center console hydraulic steering maintenance – cold weather boating Pool 4

• Migz
    Lakeville

I purchased a 2006 alumacraft navigator cs165 with a F90 yamaha on it this last summer and sold my 14’ tiller. I’m looking to take the Navigator out in the next couple of weeks on Pool 4 and when playing with the boat in the garage (30°F), I noticed that that the steering is more stiff than it was in the summer. Is this common on side console steering in the winter? What kind of maintenance does one do on hydraulic steering in general and in the winter? Any advice is appreciated.

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Hey Migz,

The steering systems use a hydraulic fluid that is pushed/pulled to your cylinder at the transom of the boat. When its cold, the fluid is less viscous than it is at warmer temps (just like any other oil) and takes more effort to push through the lines. This is normal in the winter.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

When its cold, the fluid is less viscous than it is at warmer temps (just like any other oil)

I believe you mean that it is more viscous when cold.

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Thanks Ralph, that is correct!

Migz
    Lakeville

Thank you for the confirmation that its normal. Wasn’t sure what weight of fluid was being used. Is there any maintenance issues that I should be checking every year on my steering system or is it something you just leave alone?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I keep a small can of WD-40 in the boat to spray on the pistons if/when it freeze up. Best to keep the wheel moving on occasion in very cold temps.

Good luck.

-J.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.