cell phone/plan shopping

• Deleted

What is the best option for new or existing customers for a new cell phone.

We’ve had sprint for 18 yrs. we have 3 phones w/ unlimited talk text & data for $171, it’s a love-hate thing.

I’ve just $&?@’d my second iPhone. iphone + water = Not awesome! The screen was already cracked to the max but still worked. Tripped & landed in 9′ of water with the phone in my pocket.

I refuse to pay more than $200 for a phone. Up to this point I have been buying nib corporate leftover cell phones (thru eBay) and just calling sprint to put the phone on my number.

I’d love to sign a two yr contract & get a free phone like we used to but that isn’t offered now that everyone is so hooked on their supposed smart phones, that they’ll pay $600-1000 foe a phone or lease them. I just won’t do either.

spkwms
    N.E. Iowa

We have subscribed to Consumer Cellular for at least 5 years. Very satisfied with service plus if you have an issue customer service is located in USA. You are not dealing with someone offshore that is hard to understand.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Total Wireless. Bring whatever phone you want, or buy an unlocked one. I bought an unlocked Moto X4 and love it.

We have 4 lines (on the verizon network), unlimited talk and text, unlimitted data (first 100gb are lte, then it slows down, but we’ve never even come close to using it). With the auto pay, we pay $95 a month.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Totally agree with Wimwuen, above. Dump the overpriced Apple stuff and buy unlocked Android phones for 70% less, then you can pick any carrier you want and you aren’t locked into anything. Apple has managed to slowly jack up prices and the last 2 gens of phonse are just freaking crazy priced. Samsung has done the same, they know there are people out there who will just pay anything to stick with old brands.

Just bought a Motorola Moto G7 at Best Buy last month after passing out when I saw the price of phones these days. Moto G7, 64 gig, expandable memory, awesome screen, great cam, less than $225 out the door with the phone activated. Sweet.

Changed my attitude about phones. Now I don’t care if it lasts 3-4 years, if I get 2 years out of an unlocked phone, I’m a happy camper and I’ll buy new. Anything after that is a bonus.

Other brands to look at are the Google Pixel phones. Great prices on those as well.

Grouse

bigcrappie
    Blaine

The only way to get a deal on a new phone these days is to switch company’s.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Im not sure if sprint has a “loyalty” department. But i do know AT&T for example will give you quite a deal on a phone if you ask. You may have to call a couple times but you can get away with under 50% of retail on most even more on some. Granted you already have unlimited so theres nothing else they would try to get your bill up with monthly to recoup the cost.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12417367-iphone-at-t-latest-loyalty-deal?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

My wifes Google phone is pretty awesome. We run with Verizon and by far the best for our needs.

sji

On year 5 with a Moto. Brought it to Fast Phone Repair last year, new screen, new battery, new speaker and camera $185. Works as good as the day I bought it. They wanted $800 for new. Wasn’t going to happen.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

The other thing about buying unlocked, is you can pick and choose what you want. When I got my X4, I got the android one version, and I love it. This is as about as close to pure android as you can get these days. No bloatware or carrier specific apps that I can’t remove.

I only got the 32mb version, but another positive of motorola phones, is that they come with a SD port. I put a 128gb micro SD in, and have all of the storage I’ll ever need.

Deleted

Thanks. I’m gonna check out your recommendations. I gotta say tho, it is kinda nice not having a phone. If I could just text that’d be alright with me.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

We switched from Verizon to Total Wireless just over a year ago. Would highly recommend anybody to do the same. For 2 lines we pay $60 month for unlimited data, talk, text. There is some limit of after 25gb of data (something like that) it slows down, but we’ve never hit that and we use our data quite a bit.

Carry over your old phone or get an unlocked phone. I needed a new phone anyways when we switched, so I bought the cheapest smartphone that they offered for $40. On the Android system and works just fine. I do have an iPhone for work, and honestly the only real difference between the fancy iphone and cheap android phone is the quality of the camera, speaker, video. After that, they pretty much all do the exact same things for you – call, text, use apps, GPS, surf the web, social media, etc.

The only hiccup we had when switching from Verizon to Total Wireless was porting our existing numbers over. They can’t give you an exact timeline on how long that process will take, and they do have somewhat poor customer service (although I have never had to contact them since our initial switch). My phone number ported from Verizon to Total Wireless in a matter of seconds. My wife’s took about a week… so she literally did not have a phone for a week, her number was basically “lost in space.” Kept contacting them and they’d say it’ll take another 0-48 business hours, then one time her phone just magically started working. All well since then.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

X2 on the Moto series phones. Have been buying/using them for me and my wife for many years now. Have paid from $129-179 for them. Unlocked so your carrier needs to provide a SIM card. It would be good to check out which of your carrier stores carry SIM cards (not all carrier stores do) and if they have the card for the phone you are about to buy. In Rochester the only Sprint store that carries cards is the one on the Hwy 52 frontage road across from Best Buy.

On other good thing about the Moto unlocked phones is that they come with a stock Android build. That means you have NO carrier installed garbage that you cannot uninstall. Your phones memory doesn’t “fill up” and slow the phone down because of that junk.My latest phone (Moto G7) it didn’t even have a voicemail app installed. Took me a little while to figure out that was the case and just loaded the carrier voicemail app.

Mike

At redpocket.com you can pick between Verizon and Tmobile net for only $15/Month. If you use coupon code 6C3F8113CC575C04 you get the first month free.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

At redpocket.com you can pick between Verizon and Tmobile net for only $15/Month. If you use coupon code 6C3F8113CC575C04 you get the first month free.

That is funny you mentioned RedPocket as I am just switching to them, once I find I have the coverage I need on CDMAS I will go for a year and only pay $20 a month for unlimited talk and text with 8 gigs of 4g LTE data then slows to 2 gigs.

One thing about RedPocket is they carry all 4 of the major networks and you can choose which network works best for your area.

djshannon
    Crosslake

I have had Red Pocket for a couple years. I started with the $10 minimal plan because I hate cell phones. I have carried an electronic leash from the days of pagers (work related and provided) and when I retired I said no more…

But since I have fallen over dead twice (a story for another day) my better half insists that I carry a phone on and off the water.

There customer service is pretty good but their 1-800 number is worthless.

After having the $10 plan for a couple years I upgraded to the $20 plan. I does everything I want it to do….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.