Ceiling Rod Rack

• Norsky

Made myself a new rod rack, Placed it right above the boat in the garage for easy access, 8 feet long, pine 1×4, 1 5/8 inch holes spaced 3 inches apart, “P” shaped holes on the tip end, getting ready for the water!

Attachments:
    1. 864D4ED9-852E-4F53-9723-E219974056E4.jpeg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

How far apart are the two sections. Nice looking rack by the way.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I bought racks like that and they are great. Pretty cool you made them. I love having them above my boat where I can swap things out for different trips…. and they are safe and off the floor. Best storage thing I ever did in the garage

The ones you buy have bungee cords across the end of the rod part in case a tip drops out of the opening… and it happens. You could add those easily

Norsky

They are 4 feet apart, seems to be a good distance for support, the bungee cord is a good idea, might have to add that

shefland
    Walker

Nice job, mine is a little more archaic, conduit tubes, works well, easy, love to be in my boat reaching above for the rods of the day

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0409.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Thanks Norsky.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I like both setups, I’ve thought about doing the same thing except using plywood. I wondered if over time the bottom of the “P” might crack off due to drying out or just being a Murphy or something.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Yep, that has started to happen to mine over time. Also sagging on the reel end. Time for some support to be added this spring/summer.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Very well done! Makes good use of that dead space above the garage door tracks.

Red Eye

Nicely done. I see a problem though. You didn’t make it big enough. It’s already full. Where’s the new ones this year gonna go?

Norsky

For sure, you can never have enough rods! Figured I could always add “J” hooks to the bottom

Attachments:
    1. 4779C9AD-CCA7-4C82-A184-B54D4E708EFD.png

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve got a similar setup. I’ll try to get some pics.

The ones you buy have bungee cords across the end of the rod part in case a tip drops out of the opening… and it happens.

THIS! After dropping a rod or two, I added a safety rope across mine. )

Also, people always comment that I have a lot of fishing rods. You guys have more. )

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I wish I was tall enough to reach my garage ceiling to do something like that. Nice work.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I wish I was tall enough to reach my garage ceiling to do something like that.

I made a push pole to assist (and I am 6’2″). )

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I wish I was tall enough to reach my garage ceiling to do something like that. Nice work.

I had the same issue with my garage being 11′ tall. I just put a hanging shelf (4′ x 8′) that drops it down about 3′ and stores my ice fishing stuff. Then I can easily reach the the rods (on bottom) and ice fishing stuff right from inside my boat.

I agree, having rods above boat is perfect for rigging and taking rods in and out of boat for different uses. Even with that though, the boat always has 24 rods in it ha. Like Shefland, My rod holder is also very archaic ha.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0364-1.jpg

2. IMG_0363-1.jpg

3. IMG_0362-1.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Very well done! Makes good use of that dead space above the garage door tracks.

Just be careful the rod tips don’t get bumped and slide over the those tracks. crazy

B-man

Nice job! I built one almost identical a handful of years ago, except the rods alternated (tip to butt, butt to tip).

Had it right above the boat, so I could easily reach them and swap out stuff while standing in the boat.

My new garage is taller, so I built a vertical storage rack for them now. It’s nice and compact, yet the rods are still easy to get to.

On both of them I used a router to clean up the edges.

Attachments:
    1. image000000_49.jpg

2. IMG_20200309_134459_01.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Nice job…..I see a couple trolling set-ups in there. grin

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Here’s my storage rack and the pole I use to help get them down. In hindsight, I could have put the hooks closer together to expand the capacity.

Vinyl coated cup hooks on one end and electrical conduit covered in pipe insulation on the other. Cheap and effective. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. 20200309_163519.jpg

2. 20200309_163452.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I like both setups, I’ve thought about doing the same thing except using plywood. I wondered if over time the bottom of the “P” might crack off due to drying out or just being a Murphy or something.

Good point, I’ll try using Azek.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

EPG, don’t you have some ply strips laying around?

Here’s my storage rack and the pole I use to help get them down. In hindsight, I could have put the hooks closer together to expand the capacity.

Vinyl coated cup hooks on one end and electrical conduit covered in pipe insulation on the other. Cheap and effective. waytogo

I like that too! Very simple to get the rod down from the floor, even in a very high ceiling!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m just amazed at the sheer number of rods!! I think I have 8 long rods in the boat and that’s it. Those are some impressive collections.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I like that too! Very simple to get the rod down from the floor, even in a very high ceiling!

After using garden tools for a few years, I decided to come up with a dedicated solution! rotflol

null

B-man

Nice job…..I see a couple trolling set-ups in there. grin

I like-a ta troll mrgreen That’s just my great lakes stuff lol

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.