Cedar Lake near Aitkin, MN

• huntinforfish

By the end of the month I will have year round access to a cabin on Cedar Lake near Aitkin, MN. I have never fished this lake before. Looks to be a decent bass, northern and musky fishery. Not looking for any spots or anything, just more of a general inquiry of the lake. Looks like lots of structure and depth. Anyone fish up there frequently? Any tid bits to get us started would be great. Any hidden dangers on the lake? If anyone else has a cabin up there or fishes up there frequently, I would be happy to meet up sometime for a beer and talk fishing.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have a cabin on the lake, there’s an unmarked shallow area on the upper eastern portion of the lake that I hit last year and dinged my prop, I didn’t have my electronics on and thought I was out far enough…nope… everything else is marked pretty well, but study lake maps to get a better idea..

In terms of fishing, it depends on the species, but in general working the easily defined weedlines is always a good bet.

Attachments:
    1. marker.jpg

huntinforfish

Thanks Joe. Much appreciated. If you see a green and tan Alumacraft tiller around, parked a lot on north end of lake, say hello.

Dan Kane

I have a place towards the north end. Newer blue aluma with a Honda 75 on it. My brother and I will be out this weekend. Msg me if you want to Stop over for a beer. I have some decent insight on the lake.

matthewkolden

I grew up with a cabin on that lake. Our neighbor never had an issue finding walleye out there, but he also never told us how. We did quite well on bass and pike. We haven’t had the cabin for many years now, but I get up there every so often to fish the lake anyway. A few years ago I caught a 47″ musky near the boat landing in 3 ft of water throwing top waters for bass. The lake has plenty of fish, and plenty of structure and should be a fun one for you to learn. Weed edges are always the solid bet.

D E

I’ll be up for musky opener this weekend. Hoping to figure out how to catch some walleyes out there this summer as well.

JoeMX1825
    MN

once the fish move off their spawning locations, they go DEEP chasing cisco all summer long, so fish where the bait are…down imaging helps with this.

huntinforfish

Thanks all, and thanks Dan. I wont be up this weekend, but I will try to catch you next time I am heading up.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m located in one of the main bays at the middle of the lake, Sparkle Red Skeeter MX1825

D E

I’m in a silver and red Ranger 692

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Just spent three days there. The largemouth bite was outstanding in the morning and you had to work during the day. We used senkos and my son had a shadow rap shad. The rock bass bite was disappointing. The reed growth was well behind where it should be. The first drop was where we caught a majority of our larger fish.

JoeMX1825
    MN

it seems like all of the weed growth is well behind schedule this year..

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

For sure.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.