BEST BULLHEAD SIZE???

• mnwalleyeangler

hey fellow catters!!!
    got a quick question!what is the ideal size bullie for medium sized flatheads?

i live on a lake that has a billion bullheads in it varying in size and would like to know which ones to keep…

thanks,
    millelacseye51

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I like to mix it up. Depending on people in the boat and rods out, I will run a big and a little. See if one shines better than another size.

IMHO, it does not really matter. A feisty bullhead of any size will outperform a lazy bullhead. Flatheads are oportunistic feeders and will eat when given the chance. I just like to mix it up because it makes me feel better.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

That’s hard to say from day to day.

I have caught bigger flats on 4″ bullheads and smaller ones on 7″ ones. I believe the larger would move more for the flathead to ba able to find it easier but the medium work fine too.

I keep all the bullheads I can get as I get low at times and smaller ones beats nothing.

If I had my choice, I would take bullheads from 5.5 inches up to 8 plus.

The real smallbullies can also catch one some eyeballs too.

If they are hungry and its in front of them, they will smack it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

If I had my choice, I would take bullheads from 5.5 inches up to 8 plus.

I like 5.75 to 8″.

Just like the FW, the more wiggle the better!

mnwalleyeangler

thanks for the quick responses guys!!! anyone ever need a lake to hit for bullies around the metro and i can point you in the right direction!! fish from shore to get them too!

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

A medium sized bullhead for a medium sized flathead

I would say 6″. But who wants to target a medium sized flathead I use creek chubs mostly and I have caught plenty of 4 lb fish with 7 inch chubs.

I would say keep anything over 5inches. What you dont use, can be skinned and fried

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Shoot. Thought you where going to be talking about the best size to eat. Think we may keep and cook a few up while sturgeon fishing in a few weeks.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

They are really good smoked Mike.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

When I was a kid my grandpa would take us bullhead fishing on the lake up by our cabin. They can be excellent table fare if processed correctly. Cut off their tails and bleed them for 20 minutes, skin them, take the head, and entrails out and cut the fins off. We steaked them from there or fried them whole. The back bone and ribs come out together easily after cooking.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Havent eaten them before but steaking them sounds like a good deal. Have done this with cats. The ones we get while sturgeon fishing usually run around a pound or so. Would think that is a good size for eating.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I will agree Ryan that the one you mentioned was very helpful in the new 10″ law. He knows who he is.

I do use them from time to time if I get any.

All depends on what is biting the day I go out to catch my bait.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

First off, Brian K. is only theorizing on any bullhead over 7 inches long as he just spent 6 years making a 7.1 incher legal this season . Any size will work. IMO anything under 5 inches is too small but there are guys who think smaller ones are great. I like 6.5-8 inches the best but I will definitely be soaking some 10 inchers this year. Current makes a difference. Large bullys in big current are kind off a pain. Go for smaller ones if the current is ripping.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

First off, Brian K. is only theorizing on any bullhead over 7 inches long as he just spent 6 years making a 7.1 incher legal this season

August 2010….Whew!

dr._flathead

Since I am only after large fish (40+) I have no desire to put on a 4 inch Bullhead, I reach for the biggest one in the tank! Now Im not saying a 4 incher wont get you into the 50# club, but if I get a solid run on a monster bait, Im pretty sure it will be a big fish.

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

I am not too picky as long as the bullie is bouncing the rod tip.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Now who can get the law changed so we can use gills

I seriously contemplated on moving to a different state in my younger days so I could use gills dont tell the wifey that though

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Its all about what you can’t have. I’d love to be able to buy bullheads but I can’t here. You don’t hook many channel cats on 7-8″ bluegills.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Unless shown other wise its always the biggest minnow in the pail for me regardless of species targeted(minus crappies). Max legal lenght please then a 11 inch creeker for the other pole please!!

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Quote:

Now who can get the law changed so we can use gills

I seriously contemplated on moving to a different state in my younger days so I could use gills dont tell the wifey that though

C,mon Bk, lets get er done. Sunfish please.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

C,mon Bk, lets get er done. Sunfish please.

Never say never…but there’s a better chance of the new Vikings Stadium being funded from the sale of Sturgeon tags than being able to use gills as bait in MN.

I’m still keeping an eye out for the bowfishers that want to shoot cats.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Dirk W? That is a blast from the past. Welcome back.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I actually plan on getting out this summer more than just a few times. Kids are getting older, one off to college next year. Should mean some more free time….hopefully.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.