Personal Best on a Trap…in February…

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Well in between racing home from darn near Milwaukee today, I found some time to squeeze in some open water fishing on a power plant lake. I was hoping to run into the first open water bass of the year but with limited time, I’ll say it was just great to be able to hurl some baits into open water! On the last cast of the day, a fish absolutely creamed my Rayburn Red Xcaliber XR50, and I was in for a battle. Early in the fight I had dreams of a 5 lb largemouth to kick off the season. It wasn’t long before I was pretty confident I was dealing with a whiskered critter . After some serious playing and pushing a new rod to the limits (first fish ever caught with new rapala MH 7 ft Rod) I was finally able to not only catch a glimpse of this massive fish, but also thrust a hand into it’s huge mouth and hoist it out of the water. The fish was by far the biggest flathead I’ve ever caught in my life. I didn’t have a tape measure or a scale, but I am guessing that this fish was over 30 lbs. Maybe I will be lambasted for that statement, but like I said I have no idea. All I know is curling a 30 lb dumbell isn’t much work but holding this fish steady while trying to prop a cell phone up in the crotch of a shoreline bush for a timed picture was tiresome! I only wish I could have seen what the strike looked like under water, as I was burning the trap like a guy would for pre spawn largemouth Hope you cat dudes enjoy a few of the pics. They were the best I could do!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I suppose I should add that the fish was released and swam away beautifully

iceman35
    upstate New York

wow! nice cat! great job getting the pics. phone musta been a little messy after that!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

No lambasting here, but I think you are looking more at a mid 20# fish, but the pictures make it hard to judge. And I am not a good judge of weights and distances by sight anyway, so we’ll see what others say.

That being said, who gives a poop about the weight, nice fish! You are going to have the cat guys spring fever temps going up!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

That being said, who gives a poop about the weight, nice fish! You are going to have the cat guys spring fever temps going up!

No kidding!!

No ice on the lake…open water fishing for flats in Feb.

Way Cool!

What was the bait?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I should have known.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Beautiful flatheaad Cade. He must have been really hungry to attack that crankbait like he did.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice fish Cade, I’ll bet it hit like, well hit good anyway, and you didn’t take it home and eat it?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Cade only eats bass and even then he only fillets out the cheeks.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Cade only eats bass and even then he only fillets out the cheeks.

Of course dude…..river bass grow there cheeks back after the release…daaaah

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.