Cast nets for shad?

• Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

I’d like to add that in Wisconsin cast nets are only legal on the Mississippi and then only for suckers. They cannot be used anywhere else.

I missed your post earlier Jerry!

No kidding? Could you point me in the right direction for that law? Not that I don’t believe you, just want to see how it’s written.

I guess I didn’t see anyone with a cast net on the St Croix from WI.

Here’s how the regulation reads in the spearing, netting and bait harvesting regulations for 2010/2011 for Wisconsin.
    “It is illegal to use or possess any fish trap or trammel, cast, gill, or hoop net, or any other kind of
    fishing net that might take, catch or kill fish except areas where it is specifically authorized.”

And here’s the specifically authorized area where cast nets can be used: “Wisconsin/Iowa boundary waters: Spearing Season: Continuous open season. Cast nets
    no larger than 7 feet in diameter or mesh of more than 1/2” stretch measure may be
    used to take suckers only.”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks again Jerry!

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

That’s a pretty limited rule. Almost don’t think it’d be worth the effort, yeah? I mean, it’s not hard to catch suckers with a hook and line if you know where to go. So why bother with a cast net if the rule is that limited?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

So what about the mouth of the Vermillion? Last week there were some guys using a cast net right there.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.