New Sturgeon Rod

• mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

After last year’s exploding muskie rod incident I figured I better get a dedicated sturgeon rod for the 2010 Excursion. It’s hard to find a rod that has the perfect balance of sturgeon backbone and a sunfish sensitive tip. Finally decided to go with a St. Croix Avid Inshore – 8ft Heavy-Fast. It has the extra long handle for long battles, backbone of a muskie rod, tip of a bass rod and 10 eyes to desperse load. I topped it off with a Calcutta and 65Lb PP for a smooth drag. Cant wait to test her out
    See you guys at Wigwams on the 22nd

2009 STURGEON EXCURSION REPORT

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Shore is pretty Mark!

I’ll be there to take a photo of it bent into the water!

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Nice rod that will play the fish well and a BULLET proof reel! You will like how the Calcutta will handle the runs and that tip should be perfect.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Your going to love that setup. I too have a Avid (don’t recall the model) with a Calcutta 400, wish I could make it up for the Sturgeon…

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Nice looking rig and perfect example of what people should be using. I’m all about a great fight but rigs like that are so much better for a fish of that caliber. I’ll be up there as well and hope to see it bent in half!!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

If you decide you don’t like this one either give me a call or e-mail Very nice

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my keyboard. Nice setup!

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Quote:

If you decide you don’t like this one either give me a call or e-mail Very nice

The only way I wont like this one is if it turns out like the last one…you will have the first crack at it?

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

MJ- where did you pick up your St. Croix Avid Inshore – 8ft Heavy-Fast?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.